Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Does size matter?

Waenara

Reaction score
I have two male axolotls, they are 5 inches and 5.5 inches. I want to put my little axie in with him but he only measures 4 inches.
The tank they are in is a 55 gallon long split down the middle as I have two fully grown axies on the other side. They have lots of room and flora to hide in/on would they be safe putting my 4 inch in with the 5/5.5 inchers?

Thanks guys, I know this has been answered before but I appreciate the help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Donna001

Reaction score
It is usually recommended that you only mix axolotls that are within 1 inch in size of each other, to avoid the larger ones seeing the smaller ones as a food source.
Saying that, I am quite new to this, so would suggest that you get the advice of a more experienced keeper.
I have also seen pictures of older axolotls of different sizes being kept together, but older ones as known to be less of a problem. Of my 3 juveniles (bought together from the same tank) the wild type has grown much more quickly than the others and is now quite a bit bigger, but they have been together from the start rather than being introduced now.
Please get as much advice as you can before making a decision.
:happy:

Blackbun

Reaction score
Seems to me that amphibians will attempt to eat anything that they can get hold of.
Ask yourself, would the smaller one's head fit in the larger one's mouth?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!