Is there such a thing as pink albino axolotls?

Margie

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just sold 6 white albinos to Philip Vena at buyaxolotls (.com) and he's requesting a full refund. He states I sent him pink instead of white. I've never heard of an official designation for axolotls in which pink albino is different than white albino. They certainly looked white to me.

Can anyone enlighten me on pink vs white please?

Hi there! ☺️
Not sure if you've seen this link before:
http://www.axolotl.org/genetics.htm
Based on what I've read I always thought pink Axolotl were the same as white albino as well! I don't think I've ever seen a pure white albino Axolotl, I thought they all had some pink to them, but I could be wrong! ??

I've seen some that look really white when they're young but get pink as they get older. I'm 99% sure it's not a thing but I could be wrony

Not as far as I am aware... I thought it was quite normal for white albinos to have some level of pinkness to them... I am not be any means an expert on this area though but I have never heard of a pink albino...

I would also say that the pinkness is from the blood/tissues of the animal. So if a white animal has thin skin or gets its heart pumping fast then it is reasonable to say that there will always be a certain level of pinkness depending on the situation. A white axie that is resting in cold water will most likely be "whiter" than another white axie that is feeding. I asked other vet students that are into exotics and they didn't know there was a (white/pink) difference either.

A white albino would be either leucisitc or melanoid (or possibly axanthic), as opposed to a golden albino.
A pure white albino would be sick, as the pink comes from blood showing through pale skin.
I wouldn't trade with that site even if I was in the same country - they are well known for bad advice, badmouthing John Clare, and selling at over inflated prices. I'd say he's just trying it on.

Pink albinos are just white ones kept warm or in poor water. The guys trying to gyp the OP out of cash, he got what he ordered.

I found this one on instagram, belonging to kinirikimantou. It's fairly white but from other angles and in different lighting, it also shows some signs of pink. I haven't seen any other axolotls as white as this one though. The LFS by my house has "white" axolotls but they actually refer to the pink ones. They just look white when they're babies.

8wef5h.png
bdocw8.png

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back