Illness/Sickness: Not Sure-Advice Welcome

bojangles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I recently rescued two axalotls from somebody who had too many (11 in one tank!) and wanted rid of them. There is a golden albino and a blue wild type, however i have no experience with either if these, mine is a typical albino.
Before putting them into the main tank with my original 'lotl , I was wondering if anyone could help confirm that they appear disease free. From pictures ive seen if both types they apear normal, however due to their cramped conditions I was concerned about potential fungal infections. I'm probably just being paranoid, but its always better to be safe than sorry. Theres nothing in their behavior to suggest they are ill, and the white spot on the blue one appears (to me) to be part of the the skin, rather than a growth on the surface, but as I said, Im not used to the colouration so a second opinion would be very appreciated.

Thanks
Jangles

Attachments

• tmp_20275-20160406_2254251126872228.jpg
    tmp_20275-20160406_2254251126872228.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 174
  • tmp_20275-20160406_194639984966858.jpg
    tmp_20275-20160406_194639984966858.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 167
  • tmp_20275-20160406_1945201532066611.jpg
    tmp_20275-20160406_1945201532066611.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 154
Hi Bojangles and welcome to the forum. :happy:

To start with, the two new axolotls have the same care needs as your current one, the same water parameters, temperature, space, hides and food.
From the pictures there doesn't seem to be anything obviously wrong with them, but I've only been keeping axolotls for less than 2 months, so please get opinions from the more experienced keepers on this forum before making any decisions.
Is your tank big enough to house 3 axolotls? Are the 2 new ones the same size as your current one? Do you have a barrier so that you can keep them separated during the introduction period? If they are not roughly the same size and if not introduced slowly, there is a strong possibility of nipping and injury for all.

As I say, please get advice from the more experienced keepers and have a look at other posts on the forum about introductions.
Best of luck with your 2 new axolotls and please keep us posted on their progress.
:happy:

Hi Donna thanks for the speedy reply

I think my tank is big enough it's 30 gallons of water plus a bit on the top. They are the same size (7 inches) as my existing one (which is why our chose them). I dont have a barrier I've just put the tanks next to each other for the time being. what type of barrier would you suggest?

Thanks
Jangles

No a big enough tank :( it needs to be at least 40 and they appear to be in very good condition! Nice long Gills, for now the 30 should be OK but you really need to upgrade

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your local pet shop should sell dividers and I agree with Donna that you should use a divider because it lets them be near eachother and sense another's presence before they're on the same tank. They say 10 gallons per axie is fine but most keepers prefer more as it gives them more space to swim around with ornaments. 40g would be ideal as I'm betting the new babies will grow once given the space. As for the spot on the wild, it does seem to look like its a part of the skin. They seem to look in good condition. If you are worried just quarantine them for a week or so first.

Thank you all for the advice, I am planning on getting a larger tank, just hunting around for a suitable one at the mo. I got a tank divider this morning and everything seems to be fine, they have all gathered round it to sniff each othet out =)
Happy days.
Thanks again
Jangles

That's fantastic news. :happy:
please post pictures if you have any. :D

I don't know if you guys have a petco in the UK, but if you do, they are having their dollar per gallon sale. Perfect time to get a bigger tank

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back