Pinhead Possibility?

Zobug

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Zoe
Hello all. I was collecting newly laid eggs when I noticed that a couple of them looked different-- and low and behold I'd missed three from the last clutch. They all hatched within 24 hours after that, and so far I've been keeping them well fed with BBS in a tupperware container. However, I've noticed two of the three seem to have a hard time eating properly and never seem to have a full belly like the third. I'll attach pictures, with the one I know is normal and doing well for comparison, but I'm wondering if it's the pinhead mutation? If it is it's not as severe as I've seen it, but is it still humane to try and bring these two up if they can continue to eat the bare minimum to survive? Or do I cull them humanely to prevent a life of difficulties based on the deformity? Any advice would be incredibly welcome.

Attachments

• IMG_7587.jpg
    IMG_7587.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 338
  • IMG_7586.jpg
    IMG_7586.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 473
  • IMG_7585.jpg
    IMG_7585.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 319
They look fine to me, as long as there is enough food in the container to go around then just give them time.

Okay, thank you. :) I'll continue to do what I'm doing with feeding and regular water changes and hope they get more of an appetite soon!

The pinhead mutation means they can't eat anything, so if there is orange in their bellies it's not that. Give them another few days, they may just be slow starters.

That's what I'm hoping! They have slightly pointier faces, but hey-- might just be variations that are totally healthy. I'll keep you guys updated. :)

Slow starters it is, I believe! Here's an update-- everyone seems to be eating well and I daresay I even spot some front limb buds on one.

Attachments

• IMG_7646.JPG
    IMG_7646.JPG
    160.7 KB · Views: 390
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back