Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Floating, swimming, skinny axolotl!

axolotl141

Reaction score
Hi all, first off (ignore profile pic, was taken years ago, wont see a grain on gravel near my tank) i am quite worried about my little albino, she was acting normal the other day, i have since done a partial water change on the tank, she lives with two other axolotls which are acting fine, eating, standing around etc, but little albino is frantically swimming like shes trying to get out of the water, gulping for air and doesn't want to eat anything, she was chubby afew days ago, but now she looks very veiny and skinny, really got me worried, note. was abit chewed when i bought her 4-5 months ago healed fine (gill wont grow back)
221187.jpg
221187.jpg

Last edited:

axolotl141

Reaction score
Found a clump of fungus behind her right gill, applying salt bath treatment soon

Sent from my E2104 using Tapatalk

AxolotlChris

Reaction score
The red veiny skin and fungus is usually attributed to poor water quality and or high temperatures. I would not do a salt bath if it is a minor amount of fungus since salt baths are highly irritating to the skin and stressful, and considering your Axolotl is already in poor condition its certainly not a good idea.

If you move your Axolotl to a separate container and perform 100% water changes daily with dechlorinated water, the fungus should go away on its own.

Can you post your test results for ammonia, nitrite, nitrAte, and PH in your tank?

What is the water temperature?

axolotl141

Reaction score
I had the temp at like 13-14 degrees, its a pretty big lump of fungus, shes already been seperated from the others, gonna do a change tomorrow. I bought a kit of sorts with ph stuff ect not sure on nitrate, ill have to check and see if ive gor the tester or if im imagining things, or ill get it tested at the pet shop

axolotl141

Reaction score
Ive got a chiller hooked up, so confused on how it would have got there, i think its my lack of water change recently because ive rebuilt my motorbike recently, so oily hands and petrol and stuff, not good for water

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!