Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Cycling questions

Springlizard

Reaction score
I have been looking into getting an axolotl for a while now , I had even started to cycle a tank for one but ended up putting a dwarf siren in it instead.

I came across a pet store that is selling juveniles for $7 which seems like a good price so I was tempted to buy one , but I want to be able to provide ample care

I am planning on using a 10 gallon tank with sand substrate and a sponge filter

my questions are

If I do regular water changes is cycling the tank neccesairy?

If I do cycle the tank , what is the best method ? 1-2 small fish?

AxolotlChris

Reaction score
Cycling is always recommended, otherwise there is a higher chance of harming your Axolotl with toxic ammonia. The Nitrogen Cycle is a natural beneficial process, making your life easier, and your Axolotl healthier and stress free. Don't take risks, cycle your tanks and know they are cycled.

You will need the API Freshwater Master Test Kit to test for ammonia, nitrite, nitrAte, and PH: Welcome to API Fishcare: FRESHWATER MASTER TEST KIT

Read these articles on cycling:

Caudata Culture Articles - Cycling
Caudata Culture Articles - Water Quality
Axolotls - Requirements & Water Conditions in Captivity
How to Cycle a Fish Tank
Axolotls: The Fascinating Mexican Axolotl and the Tiger Salamander

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1