Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Mesh Covering/Lid?

SammyTheLotus

Reaction score
Hi everyone! :)
I upgraded to a new 50 gallon tank over the weekend and I just have a question, does anyone have any experience using mesh coverings for their aquariums instead of the regular hinged lid? My hinged lids don't fit the right way with my filter and I'm thinking about mesh instead because it will keep my Axolotls in the water and as well keep the tank a couple of degrees cooler! ?
Has anyone ever made a mesh lid themselves, what did you use?
Or does anyone know where they can be bought? I checked my LFS and didn't see anything that looked like it would fit.

Skudo09

Reaction score
I created a mesh lid using nylon mesh fabric from my local fabric store and bamboo rods to frame it. I used cable ties to attach the mesh to the bamboo rods. It does the job but it isn't exactly all that pretty and does need cleaning occasionally as it gets a bit of residue and dust buildup. But you could probably do something along these lines and make it a bit more attractive.

Donna001

Reaction score
I have read somewhere that someone has used ceiling light diffuser panels as a tank lid.
You could probably also visit a hardware store or gardening store to see if they have any wire mesh that you could use.
:happy:

cabbysarus

Reaction score
I built one using window screening. Just get the kit from lowes or wherever and it'll have everything you need. :) That way you get to cut it down to exactly what you need.

SammyTheLotus

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice everyone! :) I'm gonna try my hand at making my own (probably with the use of a screen kit!) once my final exams are over next week, haha! ?

Hoagii

Reaction score
I bought some rabbit wire / rodent fence at a hardware store and made a lid myself. The nice part about making your own, is you can cut out a space for your filter etc. and customize it to fit your tank. Mine's strong enough to hold a fan to keep the tank cool too.

SammyTheLotus

Reaction score
I bought some rabbit wire / rodent fence at a hardware store and made a lid myself. The nice part about making your own, is you can cut out a space for your filter etc. and customize it to fit your tank. Mine's strong enough to hold a fan to keep the tank cool too.

That sounds awesome! :) I'm going out once I finish final exams next week to pick up some supplies and sand haha, I'm glad I'll be able to cut my own size because my filter sits at the side of my tank rather than the back, so I'll be able to make a nice space for it! ?

cabbysarus

Reaction score
The screen one that I made is strong enough for a fat cat to sit on all day :) just be sure to use the metal mesh

Eoiee

Reaction score
Bit late to this but I bought the kit from simplyaquaria that Chris posted and I love it. The lid is very light weight and the kit was very easy to assemble!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!