Is this enough space?

Alexthibado

Reaction score
Country
United States
Right now I have a 10g tank that is being cycled with pure ammonia. I plan on getting an axolotl but I was wondering if this is enough space for my future pet to walk around etc because the piece of driftwood takes up a lot of space. Im not talking about tank size but rather surface area. Thank you!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 199
It may be okay for a 2 inch juvenile but they will quickly outgrow it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi there. I've added a link to some information on axolotl housing:
Axolotls - Housing in Captivity
It says that a 45cm long, 10 gallon tank is the minimum for 1 axolotl. Some people say that it should be a minimum of 40 gallons, but I don't know if that is a mix up from conversion factors because we go with litres in the UK, and we use a general rule of 4o litres minimum tank size per axolotl. Basically, the more room the better for the axolotl to explore.
The wood in your tank does take up quite a lot of the floor space. They will climb over things, but they do like to go for a walk. Perhaps you could consider raising one end of the log, so your axolotl could use it for a hide and/or walk underneath it.
Is the white oblong a feeding dish? If so you could also try using a smaller one. In the past I've used the upturned lid from a jar for feeding bloodworms to my juveniles when they were younger, but that was on a slate so they had plenty of space away from the sand when they were eating (sand isn't good for small juveniles).
Also make sure that your pebbles are too big to be swallowed.
I hope that this was of some help, and please keep us updated on your progress, and post lots of pictures when you get your axolotl.
:D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back