Illness/Sickness: Fungus?

JordynG45

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello all!
I've recently noticed a little white spot on my axolotls gills. It was behind it, I saw it and wasn't sure what this was since I've never seen this before. I am going to give a tea bath but since I don't have the right kind of tea I'm going to the store to get the stuff for it. Is this fungus? If not what is it? Would a tea bath help?

Here is a picture

6349112c035c79104aa1946c2a869a82.jpg

Any advice is greatly appreciated. I've never been in this situation before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not sure that the white patch is fungus. I have attached some links to health information
Axolotls - Health & Diseases
Caudata Culture Articles - Illness Part 1
Please could you give us some more information about your axolotl:-
Approximate age/size
Is it alone or with tank mates
What are your water parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, temperature, etc.)
When did you notice the white patch?
Are there any other symptoms (gone off food, etc.)
I have only been keeping axolotls for <2 months, but there are many experienced keepers on the forum, and the more information that you provide the easier they will be able to diagnose the problem and offer advice. Perhaps more pictures would help too.
In the mean time, please ensure that you water quality is excellent as this will help your little one to recover.
:happy:

Can you try to pick it off with a qtip? the axie won't like it, but it's worth finding out if it's just something growing on their gill or if it's in the gill.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back