How big do they have to be to go to new homes?

Beardog1

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I am sure that this has been answered in a previous post, but I am not seeing it.

How big should the babies be before moving to new homes? I was under the impression that they just need to be on frozen bloodworms before they were safe to move. So I figured to be safe, wait till they have their back legs.

But I have been told by others that they wait till they are 3 or four inches long before moving?

I would love to get the thoughts of the group

Dear Beardog, I'm not certain size matters (maybe the bigger the better) as such more about how and how long the little ones will get to where they are going. I saw how because there are implications here on changes in temperature and, given the small quantity of water in the travelling vessel, changes in water quality. The smaller the animal the less able it will be to accommodate these changes with the knock on effect of physiological damage to its delegate system.

Yes 3 inches plus is often the preferred size since they are more hardy. I agree with Blackbun

As for shipping them, it is usually an hour or two in transit. I am only moving them local.

I guess a little older let me see their colors better as well.

Thanks

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back