AXIES GILLS CHANGING COLOR RAPIDLY! Please help

JadeAnnette

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
AxieDaxie
So I've previously put a post up about my partners little one Yella. His gills have been changing from a nice pink to a very pale yellow, everyone has told me not to worry but I've noticed the change is happening more often. Over the past few nights we go to bed and they're pink and when we wake up they're a pale yellow, it's the same sometimes when we just leave the house for a few hours. I'm worried about our little guy, I noticed it's happening more since he has been in the new 6foot tank, he is still eating fine, he's grown a heap since we got him but the gill change is worrying me.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 539
What his gills usually look like

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 679
It happens to all axolotls please don't worry ?? when they are pale it just means he is in his "relaxed mode" if you will. When they are bright red it means he is in his "alert hunting or curious mode" completely natural. His gills look uber healthy and fluffy!! Can I see a picture of the 6 foot tank, also of its not rude to ask how much did you pay for it?? Been thinking of upgrading. Thanks a lot hope I helped!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My girlfriends Golden Albino is doing the same thing at the moment. I'm not sure if i'm convinced it is due to the Axolotls activity though, since there can be long periods of time where the fimbriae are a deep red and others where they are a pale pink.

Would be interesting if anyone has any studies on this to try and explain what is happening.
Doesn't seem to be a problem though.

My girlfriends Golden Albino is doing the same thing at the moment. I'm not sure if i'm convinced it is due to the Axolotls activity though, since there can be long periods of time where the fimbriae are a deep red and others where they are a pale pink.

Would be interesting if anyone has any studies on this to try and explain what is happening.

Doesn't seem to be a problem though.

My albino does this as well, sometimes for really long periods, I notice when food stimulus is out in front of her they get very bright red

Hello guys,

The colour change you see is down to blood. The gill stalks contain blood vessels, which are very visible on the lighter-coloured axxies. When an axolotl is excited (for example, in front of food) more blood rushes to the gills to ensure greater oxygen takeup (like when you exercise, your heart beats faster). This means the axxie will have enough oxygen to 'hunt' the food or escape the threat, etc.

Lighter pink gills mean that there was a lot of blood there, but it's now decreasing - the axxie may have just 'hunted' (been fed) and is now relaxing.

It's nothing to worry about :) My Leucistic's bottom also goes pink when he needs to use the loo.

It happens to all axolotls please don't worry ?? when they are pale it just means he is in his "relaxed mode" if you will. When they are bright red it means he is in his "alert hunting or curious mode" completely natural. His gills look uber healthy and fluffy!! Can I see a picture of the 6 foot tank, also of its not rude to ask how much did you pay for it?? Been thinking of upgrading. Thanks a lot hope I helped!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you thank you! You have put my mind at ease! :) all up (a friend made me the stand) it was about $130ish, a good price but in saying that I've spent hundreds of dollars and I'm still not close to how I want it to look! Lol
I do say though, 6foot tank is a ***** to keep clean unless you have a really powerful filter and heavy water flow(which our babies don't like) oooor you do what I do and fool around with the syphon and bucket a lot ☺️

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back