Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Constipated or Swollen Cloaca??

Eoiee

Reaction score
Hi so recently i had noticed that both my axolotls seem to be male, both are approx 5-6 inches long and have dark tips on their toes which usually means sexual maturity? I've had them just over a month now so i've no idea how old they are exactly.

however with mulder his looks swollen, he had always had kind of a 'big' area down there since i got him but lately i've noticed his cloaca seems to be too big? i showed a picture of it to chris on the forums here and he noticed it was abnormally big too.

it's not red at all and he doesn't seem to be in pain infact he's the same as always he just seems to be a bit slower to get around, kind of like a waddle like you need to go really bad??

he can move normally fast when he wants to as he just demonstrated there when i tried to measure him ha. :D he's still eating, not stressed and he isn't pale or any signs of sickness or fungus.

His cloaca isn't red, it's white and yellow like him, and when i look closely it seems like it has little white bumps, like a rough skin texture not pimples if that makes sense?:confused:

I looked up prolapse but it doesn't look as painful or aggrivated as that. He hasn't pooped much this week which isnt too strange for him as he usually poops little bits at a time then a lot usually at the start of the week. I feed him earthworms one or two a day and he's not on any substrate at the moment as i have him in his own container while my tank is cycling, water is also changed everyday so his parameters are never high.

I've attached photos to show what i mean, sorry if they're huge i'm using my phone.

Also just in case one side of his gills has always been small since i got him, i can assure you that his filaments aren't disintegrating.
View attachment 46422

View attachment 46423

View attachment 46424

View attachment 46425

View attachment 46426

Eoiee

Reaction score
Not sure if the images are showing properly??

20160423_151704.jpg

20160423_151710.jpg

20160423_151712.jpg

20160423_152031.jpg

20160423_152251.jpg

Eoiee

Reaction score
More photos this time from below, managed to put him in a smaller container to get the pictures

20160423_172018.jpg

20160423_172019.jpg

20160423_172029.jpg

Donna001

Reaction score
He does seem to be more swollen that anything I've seen on my 3 mature males. Mine have become more swollen around the time that they lay spermatophores, which they have been doing a lot in the past month.
Unfortunately I can't be more helpful than that, sorry.

Eoiee

Reaction score
Does anyone know or have advice?? Should I fridge him to see if he can flush all it out?? I'm getting paranoid over it as there is no vet in Dublin with axolotl experience so they wouldn't know what to do either :confused: and if it's something more serious I have no idea what to do.

Zobug

Reaction score
Do you feed only earthworms? I know a lot of keepers have experienced their axolotls getting constipated if that's the only thing they're eating. Also, and the size he's at, you no longer really have to feed him every day. He might be getting plugged up due to the frequency of feeding. Try giving him a day or two in-between feedings and see if that helps aid his digestive system at all. You could also try giving him some frozen bloodworms every once and a while for variety of diet. But, as long as he's eating and doesn't seem to be in pain.. I would just watch it for another couple days/week and see if it improves or gets worse.

Eoiee

Reaction score
Do you feed only earthworms? I know a lot of keepers have experienced their axolotls getting constipated if that's the only thing they're eating. Also, and the size he's at, you no longer really have to feed him every day. He might be getting plugged up due to the frequency of feeding. Try giving him a day or two in-between feedings and see if that helps aid his digestive system at all. You could also try giving him some frozen bloodworms every once and a while for variety of diet. But, as long as he's eating and doesn't seem to be in pain.. I would just watch it for another couple days/week and see if it improves or gets worse.

I have been doing earthworms only while in the containers I didn't want to run the risk of fouling their water too much while in the smaller space, but I can feed him some frozen bloodworms and daphnia I have. I'm taking him to a vet here tomorrow just as a precaution, like i mentioned no vet here has axolotl experience but I've contacted two exoctic vets with amphibian/reptile experience so Ill just get it checked out for advice

AxolotlChris

Reaction score
Its looks like a prolapse. It can correct itself, you just need to make sure the water quality is perfect so it doesn't become infected. Worst case scenario is that the prolapse does not correct its self which can result in death.

Taking it to a vet would be the best thing to do.

Eoiee

Reaction score
Its looks like a prolapse. It can correct itself, you just need to make sure the water quality is perfect so it doesn't become infected. Worst case scenario is that the prolapse does not correct its self which can result in death.

Taking it to a vet would be the best thing to do.

This is what I feared. I will be going to the vet today but I feel he wont have the experience to deal with it. Worst case scenario what should I do, should I give a time frame for it to fix itself?? Am I meant to just let him die of it or should I intervene? I don't want to be cruel to him with this.

Petersgirl

Reaction score
Dear Eoiee,

I'm so sorry your axxie is unwell.

I believe this is a prolapse as well and is beyond home treatment. I also don't think it'll clear up on its own.

I think you need to take your baby to a vet ASAP. It might be worth telephoning the vet first to see what experience they have with axxies. If you are lucky enough to have transport you may want to try a vet further away if they have more experience. Even if they can't deal with it, they'll be able to offer advice and maybe some medicine.

Good luck.

Eoiee

Reaction score
Dear Eoiee,

I'm so sorry your axxie is unwell.

I believe this is a prolapse as well and is beyond home treatment. I also don't think it'll clear up on its own.

I think you need to take your baby to a vet ASAP. It might be worth telephoning the vet first to see what experience they have with axxies. If you are lucky enough to have transport you may want to try a vet further away if they have more experience. Even if they can't deal with it, they'll be able to offer advice and maybe some medicine.

Good luck.

Thanks, Im bring him to the vet today, I have contacted others but no vet has axolotl experience here in Ireland, I dont have transport to go too far distances like hours away but there isn't many exotic vets here in Ireland anyway and the one who do have no experience with caudates. I really don't think it'll get better on its own either given its size and it seems to be getting bigger each day. Im really out of options here regarding treatment so if this vet today can't actually do anything I'm not sure what my next steps will, as much as I don't want to I might have to put him to sleep :(

Donna001

Reaction score
Even if your vet has no experience with axolotls, they may be able to call or videoconference with a more experienced vet that will be ale to offer advice and perhaps talk your vet through some treatments. If you have a look through the vets listed in the link I have a feeling that some in the UK specify that they will take calls to discuss cases with other vets.
Herp Veterinarians
I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you and your little one.
Please don't give up hope yet.

Eoiee

Reaction score
So return my vet and he diagnosed hemipenal swelling which I already know is wrong because axolotls dont even have hemipenes reptiles do. I didn't expect much though because like I said they don't have experience. I'll try contacting vets in the UK but I've already had one vet decline here to collaborate as they don't feel comfortable doing a procedure like that. It's getting bleaker and bleaker right now so I'm really running out of ideas

Donna001

Reaction score
I notice this one does vet-to-vet consultations, if that's any help.

* Martin Lawton
Exotic Animal Centre
12 Fitzilian Avenue
Harold Wood
Romford
Essex, RM3 OQS
44 (0) 1708 384444
Fax: 44 (0) 1708 344318
Vet-to-vet consultations: Faxes are preferred. Phone calls can only be taken between 4:00-4:30 p.m.
Fees apply.

Eoiee

Reaction score
I notice this one does vet-to-vet consultations, if that's any help.

* Martin Lawton
Exotic Animal Centre
12 Fitzilian Avenue
Harold Wood
Romford
Essex, RM3 OQS
44 (0) 1708 384444
Fax: 44 (0) 1708 344318
Vet-to-vet consultations: Faxes are preferred. Phone calls can only be taken between 4:00-4:30 p.m.
Fees apply.

Thank you, I'll see if I can get a vet to consult him. I'm going to monitor mulder for awhile and switch up his diet and keep is water clean and see if it helps. I know it looks past self fixing but I saw a similar case on the forums and there's turned out to be manageable so while he seems completely happy and alert now I'll see what I can do. If it gets worse I'll take more drastic measures.

Donna001

Reaction score
Sometimes these little fellas have the amazing ability to heal. Great water conditions and environment will give him the best chance for a positive outcome.
Best of luck. :happy:

Eoiee

Reaction score
Update on mulder I brought him to the vet a couple weeks ago and she kept him over night and x-rayed him. She advised it wasn't a prolapse but an oedema (build up of fluid) but wasnt sure what was causing she mentioned it could possibly be a birth defect, I don't know how correct this is but I know for sure it's not a prolapse. She performed 2 enemas on him and swelling went down mostly and he has been pooping on and off since. She advised me to give him a Salt bath for the swelling I was weary of doing it but eventually did but at very low doses for only 10 mins max and with aquarium salts and to my surprise it has been going down since, left side is completely normal but the right side of the cloaca is still a bit swollen. I took a picture of the xray and it shows a solid lump which she wasn't sure what it is, I'm worried he might have swallowed something in the pet shop, I'll attach a picture below. He seems okay but the last two days he's been kind of arched with his mouth open slightly which worries me. He's alert and has an appetite infact I just fed him some bloodworms there which he ate and his mouth is a bit more closed now but still slighty open. Should I be looking into fridging him?? My leucistic is showing no signs of anything like mulder but he also hasn't poop in about 2 weeks so I might see about fridging both unless I'm being too pesumptuous? I only feed them every 2 or 3 days now and it's a mix between worms cut up and bloodworm/daphnia mix which I have to feed using the baster.

Attachments

• IMG-20160505-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20160505-WA0000.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 304

Donna001

Reaction score
Thanks for the update on Mulder.
Great news that it wasn't a prolapse and that a salt bath helped with the swelling.
The current situation with Mulder being arched with his mouth open is concerning. I'm fairly certain I've seen those symptoms mentioned in another thread a while back, but can't remember what the exact problem was. Also I don't have any personal experience with this problem.
My advice would be to contact your vet again, but some of the more experienced keepers will be able to give you more specific advice.

Eoiee

Reaction score
Since feeding last night he isn't arched anymore and his mouth is closed now so I don't know if he was just anticipating food but he seems normal again now. I'll mention it to my vet, she had last said if he didn't poop that she'd have to try surgery but was very unsure if he'd survive it. I'm more concerned about the lump inside as he's still straining to go so I'm worried it might need help getting out

Donna001

Reaction score
Glad to hear he is looking better after feeding last night.
Keep a close eye on him, check your water parameters to make sure everything is fine, mention it to your vet, and see what the more experienced keepers say about the lump on the x-ray/pooping situation.
Best of luck.
:happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!