New tank- filter or no filter?

rexx

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi everyone,

It's been a few years since I've had a tank (especially with axolotls) so I've purchased a second hand tank and I'm starting over again. I came here as I remember how good it was for help!
I read a thread and about people using filters or not using a filter ... Would you suggest using a filter over no filter? If not using a filter, would you test the levels more often and do a water change if needed?

I will be feeding him (assuming it's a he) frozen food (I think I use to buy brine if I remember correctly.. But will have a look when I get to that stage) and also worms sometimes.
I know I have to cycle the tank first with a little demo fish I guess you could say , so once I've given the tank a good clean that's what I'll be doing before getting my new little axolotl !

Any advice on starting up my tank again would be much appreciated as its been a while! :happy::happy:

You can't cycle a tank without a filter. But you shouldn't use goldfish (or any live fish) to get the cycle going, fishless cycling is better (look it up!).
Axies over about 4" should be fed on earthworms, smaller ones on bloodworms. Brineshrimp is only suitable for very small larvae.

You can't cycle a tank without a filter. But you shouldn't use goldfish (or any live fish) to get the cycle going, fishless cycling is better (look it up!).
Axies over about 4" should be fed on earthworms, smaller ones on bloodworms. Brineshrimp is only suitable for very small larvae.

Sorry I should have worded that better. I have a filter that I will be using when cycling... But when I get my axolotl , do they do better with or without filter ? I've always used a filter when I've had them but not sure if it's worth trying without a filter if it will be better for them (obviously will do water changes). I grew up with one that lived in a pond, I've never seen one live so long before!

Hi, welcome to the forum! :)
I'm a fairly new owner as well but I would definitely recommend using a filter.. Axolotls produce a lot of waste and without a filter you'd be doing pretty frequent and heavy water changes to keep their tank clean and keep them in good health.
There's plenty of articles about cycling a new tank, I personally did mine without a fish and just used drops of pure liquid ammonia, just because no fish is harmed during that process! :)
http://www.fishchannel.com/fishkidz/beginner-fish/fishless-cycling.aspx
Also depending on your little guys age, frozen brine shrimp and bloodworms are good! But as they age and get bigger (maybe 5 inches long or more) you should start offering them earthworms. Nightcrawlers and regular earth worms are best, Axolotl don't really like red wigglers.
Earthworms are the best staple food nutritionally, shrimp are okay too, they just lack the calcium that earthworms have. :)
Cycling is a really long process, so just make sure you're patient! And of course come here for any advice or questions, we'll all be happy to help! :)

Hi, welcome to the forum! :)
I'm a fairly new owner as well but I would definitely recommend using a filter.. Axolotls produce a lot of waste and without a filter you'd be doing pretty frequent and heavy water changes to keep their tank clean and keep them in good health.
There's plenty of articles about cycling a new tank, I personally did mine without a fish and just used drops of pure liquid ammonia, just because no fish is harmed during that process! :)
Fishless Aquarium Cycling Method
Also depending on your little guys age, frozen brine shrimp and bloodworms are good! But as they age and get bigger (maybe 5 inches long or more) you should start offering them earthworms. Nightcrawlers and regular earth worms are best, Axolotl don't really like red wigglers.
Earthworms are the best staple food nutritionally, shrimp are okay too, they just lack the calcium that earthworms have. :)
Cycling is a really long process, so just make sure you're patient! And of course come here for any advice or questions, we'll all be happy to help! :)

Thank you Samantha, yes it's been a couple years since I've had a tank so starting up again I feel like a complete newbie again as I'm learning all over again!
I know it's a long procedure to get the tank all ready and cycles, but it's totally worth it after how much joy I got out of my past 2 axies.

Thank you Samantha, yes it's been a couple years since I've had a tank so starting up again I feel like a complete newbie again as I'm learning all over again!

I know it's a long procedure to get the tank all ready and cycles, but it's totally worth it after how much joy I got out of my past 2 axies.

Hahah I'm sure it's just like riding a bike, it'll all come back to you once you get started again! :)
I've currently got 3 Axies and I love them, I'm making sure my 50 gallon long is cycled properly before putting two of my bigger ones in there, I can't wait!

Hi Rexx.
I use filters on both my axolotl tanks (200 litres each). I have internal filters and point the spray bars towards the glass to minimise the water movement, and I also have some tall silk plants near the filter, again to reduce water movement. I have 3 mature males in one tank and 3 juveniles in the other. They don't seem to be bothered by the filter and I would prefer to have a filter than have to do large, frequent water changes.
Best of luck with your new set up. :happy:

Oh and I almost forgot, once you get your tank up and running don't forget to post some pics of your little guy! :)

Haha, it may be a while before its set up... But I will for sure!
I'll only be having 1 little Axie as I'm "beginning" again like I said, also I'm not sure how to tell the difference between a male and a female so I don't want to accidentally end up with babies!

Haha, it may be a while before its set up... But I will for sure!

I'll only be having 1 little Axie as I'm "beginning" again like I said, also I'm not sure how to tell the difference between a male and a female so I don't want to accidentally end up with babies!

This link is a pretty good source! :)
http://sillyaxolotls.wix.com/sillyaxolotls#!sexing-breeding/cxb9
You likely won't be able to tell their gender until they're a year old or more, so it's not something you'll have to worry about right away! :) I've got two in a container together at the moment but they're nowhere near sexually mature yet so I don't have any concerns for now.

Hi Rexx.
I use filters on both my axolotl tanks (200 litres each). I have internal filters and point the spray bars towards the glass to minimise the water movement, and I also have some tall silk plants near the filter, again to reduce water movement. I have 3 mature males in one tank and 3 juveniles in the other. They don't seem to be bothered by the filter and I would prefer to have a filter than have to do large, frequent water changes.
Best of luck with your new set up. :happy:

That's a smart idea actually ... To put it towards the glass. I haven't even got water in my tank yet.... I'm not even sure if my filter works yet or if I'll have to buy a brand new one! I'll post some pictures of my tank and the filter that's already in it if I can as I'm using my phone right now.

It's a 70ish L tank, I wanted to make sure I got one big enough and not a little 25cm length one because I find that's just a little cruel. Hopefully the pictures work

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 213
Sorry I can only seem to upload 1 photo per message and they're coming up the wrong Wu for some reason.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 191
Last one! I apologise them being tilted in the photo ... They're not like that on my phone

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 135
This link is a pretty good source! :)
Silly Axolotls
You likely won't be able to tell their gender until they're a year old or more, so it's not something you'll have to worry about right away! :) I've got two in a container together at the moment but they're nowhere near sexually mature yet so I don't have any concerns for now.

That's an awesome link and I never knew that was how to tell the difference between sexes. Thanks so much! :happy:

You're more than welcome! :) And I think your tank looks great for your Axie! How many gallons is it, about 18?

I just converted 18 gallons into litres and yes it's about 18 gallons. The lady I purchased the tank off said it was about 70L (18ish gallons) :happy:

Here is my mature male tank. As you can see I have 2 internal filters. The one in the corner is for a 200 litre tank, and the one in the middle is for a 100 litre tank, so I am over-filtering. I also have an air stone. You can see that there is water movement as there are ripples on the surface, but this is minimal and not felt further down into the tank where my guys are.
My juvenile tank is also over-filtered, but both filters are in one corner, and directly underneath is a hide with a flat roof, and on top of that is another small hide with an angled roof, to make sure that the worst of any water movement is aimed towards the glass.
I know everyone has their own preference, but I'm definitely on the side of filtering an axolotl tank. :happy:

Attachments

• 2016-04-12 17.13.22.jpg
    2016-04-12 17.13.22.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 454
Here is my mature male tank. As you can see I have 2 internal filters. The one in the corner is for a 200 litre tank, and the one in the middle is for a 100 litre tank, so I am over-filtering. I also have an air stone. You can see that there is water movement as there are ripples on the surface, but this is minimal and not felt further down into the tank where my guys are.
My juvenile tank is also over-filtered, but both filters are in one corner, and directly underneath is a hide with a flat roof, and on top of that is another small hide with an angled roof, to make sure that the worst of any water movement is aimed towards the glass.
I know everyone has their own preference, but I'm definitely on the side of filtering an axolotl tank. :happy:

Wow! Thank you for your picture of your tank! It's lovely. If I may ask, why is it that you are over filtering as you say and use 2 filters and not just 1? :happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back