Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Screen top

Colfersninja

Reaction score
I bought a screen top lid for my axolotl tank, but I can't figure out how to attach my filter and everything. The holes are too small for the tubes. There's no spot that opens up, so I would have to take the whole thing off to feed my axolotl. Would I be better off without the lid? How could I prevent my axolotl from jumping out of the tank?

Donna001

Reaction score
Hi there and welcome to the forum. :happy:
I would suggest that it is best to always use a lid on your tank. You never know how far these fellas can jump when frightened.
Can you cut some spaces for filter tubes etc.? Perhaps if you could post some pictures of your tank, lid and equipment, that might help us to offer appropriate advice. :happy:

Colfersninja

Reaction score
I actually don't have anything set up yet and I don't have an axolotl either. All I have so far is a 20 gallon tank and the lid. I'm going to buy a sponge filter and possibly a chiller and I knew they had tubes. I just thought of the lid possibly being a problem, and I was wondering how to solve it. I'm pretty sure I can find a way to cut the top so I can put the tubes in.

Thank you so much for your advice!

Axy239

Reaction score
On a few of my tanks I use the egg crate from the big box stores. They come in 4ft sections, and snap apart with pliers. Super easy to work with and make custom tops. It's origional use is light fixture diffuser. But for me it works well for holding lights and whatnot above the cage.

I also used a few 12v fan motors facing down on my tank to cool it a little. The evaporation is a little quicker, but it's much cheaper than a chiller.

Kasye

Reaction score
I would think that wire cutters would be able to cut the screen.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1