Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Internal bleeding?

Jhammer

Reaction score
So my axolotl hasn't eaten in quite a long time, probably close to a month, this led me to believe he was constipated or sick in some way, as a result I put him in the fridge. He began to pass a white cotton like substance, and still refused to eat. I spoke with a breeder, who told me it sounded as though he had a fungal infection and to start salt bath treatments. It seemed to be working very well for him at first and he was perking up quite a bit. Then about two days ago he developed a red spot on his side that travels under his stomach, his back legs are quite red too. I'm not sure at all whats wrong.

Help would be greatly appreciated!

1st photo is him looking normal and healthy.
2nd photo is of the red spreading recently.
3rd photo is of the what the stool looks like.

Attachments

• 13084292_10154139362945148_1898850868_n.jpg
    13084292_10154139362945148_1898850868_n.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 2,741
  • 13090405_10154139357210148_2139834190_n.jpg
    13090405_10154139357210148_2139834190_n.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 11,602
  • 13059514_10154139370415148_48845245_n.jpg
    13059514_10154139370415148_48845245_n.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 626

Donna001

Reaction score
How many salt baths did your axolotl have? Did they go on for a week? or longer?
I'm just trying to get as much information as possible.
Salt baths can cause irritation if continued for long periods. I don't know if the red patch/broken veins on his stomach is due to that, but when you said internal bleeding I expected internal organs bleeding :eek:
What does bother me in the second picture is the red rear leg. This could be a sign of a bacterial infection (Axolotls - Health & Diseases) that may require antibiotics from a vet. (Herp Veterinarians)
As for the poop, again that concerns me. I'm sure I've seen it mentioned in another thread, but can't find it right now.
Unfortunately I'm not awfully experienced with sick axolotls as I've only had mine for 2 months, so hopefully the more experienced keepers will post their advice soon.
You might want to start looking for a vet to be on the safe side though.

Jhammer

Reaction score
Thank you for replying!
He has had salt baths for about a week or less.
I checked on him again today, and his gills are losing color now too.
I've been trying to contact a vet that can help with Axolotls, but have had no success.
I'm really fearing I may lose him soon, it's a terrible feeling not knowing how to help them. :(

Blackbun

Reaction score
Dear jhammer, I found this I hope it's of some use to you.

Axolotls - Health & Diseases

I know years back the books used to recommend salt solution bathing for goldfish with whitespot and other skin issues. If memory serves me right, it wasn't ever successful and only caused extra stress probably due to osmotic shock. I read that fish treatments are not suitable for axolotls so I'm not sure what you can do. Water quality is everything but I don't think that means one change after another as that'll probably only dilute the irritation agent rather than eliminating it. Good luck.

Skudo09

Reaction score
Your axolotl needs to see a vet urgently if you have one in your area. It looks like septicaemia and without treatment is likely to be fatal. Antibiotic treatment is needed.

HitmanSougo13

Reaction score
Yes I would dare say it is septicaemia. Store bought antibiotics are not strong enough. See a vet ASAP, it is a very very fast acting problem, I literally noticed it one day on my melanoid and then she died the next day. Although it is contagious do you have other Axies as well?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1