Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question about fridging

Fwiorkowski

Reaction score
I am totally new to axolotls - I got three at a reptile show because they are cute (it wasn't totally an impulse buy - I had been wanting some since the last reptile show I went to)

So one started floating and I read about fridging and I'm doing that but I'm wondering how to know he is feeling better - he isn't floating in the Tupperware but there isn't a lot of water in there ... Should I fill it fuller next water change and see if he still is floating?

I also wanted to confirm that they are ok in those tupperwear - I'm going out of town on Friday night and I'll be back Sunday - so I'll miss one water change if he still needs to be in the fridge - but they are really ok in there? I'm not going to lie - it just feels weird to put something alive (other than a dying fish) in my fridge or freezer and think it will be ok ...

Thanks for your help!

AxolotlChris

Reaction score

Fwiorkowski

Reaction score
Thanks for your response!

They are about 5 lnches long if that tells you the age . . . I'm not sure how old that would be . . .

I've got him fridging right now so I can't take a picture of him floating - but he was up at the top with his legs spread - I read to poke him and see if he went to the bottom but he didn't so I figured it was time for fridging. The other two seem fine - they are just roaming around on the bottom of the tank . . .

Thanks for the info on temperature - I checked it with a laser thermometer and it is within that range

auntiejude

Reaction score
Why are you fridging your axie? It's not a cure all, or even a treatment for common issues. Floating is normal behaviour, some axies like it, most do it at some point. Unless they are struggling to get to the bottom of the tank there isn't a problem.

Get you axie out of the fridge, let it warm up to room temp and put it back in the tank.

AxolotlChris

Reaction score
Well to be fair it depends on what type of floating it is. I was suspecting it could be constipation but that's why I asked for images to be able to see exactly what is happening. If it was constipation I've read that fridging helps to excrete any waste. I have also read that if an Axolotl struggles to get to the bottom of the tank due to floating that it can be stressful, fridging is used along with shallow water to reduce the stress.

Fwiorkowski - post some images, you may not need to be fridging your Axolotl.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1