Help with my ribbed newts

Abi038

Reaction score
Country
Wales
Hi all
I'm devastated to find this morning one of my ribbed newts has passed away. She had a fungal infection on her tail about a week ago. It was only a small spot when I saw it and I managed to stop any visible growth from it (very little information on the web, many suggested light salt baths for 5 mins) and everything seemed fine for about a week. And then yesterday she would not eat and today I've woken up and found she has passed away in the night. I'm devistated She looks to be as though she was shedding during this time (which wasn't the case yesterday) and has a swollen throat (it looks as though she was in the process of eating her skin). My other two seem fine and I've already cleaned the tank this morning incase it was an infection but I really am worried that it might effect my other newts. I dote over my newts like they're royalty sometimes with the fresh plants and suchlike. I've not over fed them ( that I know of, feeding every other day and had them for 8 months with lots of sucssess) the temperature has not risen or fallen greatly. Only a few degrees here and there when my room heats up.
Does anyone know what may have caused her death? I would love to know and prevent it from happening to my other newts.

Thank you again
Abigail

Hi, welcome to the forum. :)
Sorry to hear you've lost one of your newts, I know how over time they become pets in the same way a cat or dog does, especially ribbed newts with their big personalities and daft antics at feeding time.
It soundslike he choked on his own skin, perhaps because he was weakend from the fungal infection, which although upsetting, means at least it wasn't something the others can catch. I would still keep a close eye on them for the next few weeks and if you notice anything amiss get them to a vet that has experience treating amphibians, they should be able to diagnose any problems and treat them accordingly. If there are no external problems it could be any number of things and difficult to treat without the prescription drugs that the vets have access to.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for your fast answer.
I will keep a very close eye on them and hope for the best.
Thanks again Chinadog :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back