Question: Amphibian eggs- newt/salamander or frog?

grimmjowls

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Jace
Located in Michigan.

Thought these were frog eggs right off the bat (leopard or wood) but could very well be Noto eggs or something else. :confused:

They were more in a vernal pool of sorts rather than a lake or pond.

Photos - Frog... Newt eggs/babies?... ID?... - Album on Imgur

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

My bet is some sort of salamander or newt. By the shape of the head and what looks like gills forming it's definitely not frog eggs.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_amphibians_of_Michigan

There is a list of salamanders that are native to the Great Lakes and Michigan area. Post pics as they get larger by then someone will have a better idea

Very interesting. I noticed the top tadpole first and immediately thought it looked bufo. However, the larger one seems to have a pronounced neck which leads me to the tailed caudates. It's the very dark body that still draws me to the bufo. Were the eggs clumped, in strings, singular? Any sign of adults or more advanced developed animals?

5b9eeac9084478a74eb760b555b88962_zpsjatfklir.jpg

They look like frog tadpoles to me. Some (probably not all) species of frog tadpoles have small external gills right after hatching. I have seen this myself with newly hatched tadpoles.

Very interesting. I noticed the top tadpole first and immediately thought it looked bufo. However, the larger one seems to have a pronounced neck which leads me to the tailed caudates. It's the very dark body that still draws me to the bufo. Were the eggs clumped, in strings, singular? Any sign of adults or more advanced developed animals?

5b9eeac9084478a74eb760b555b88962_zpsjatfklir.jpg

They were clumped, so I've strayed away from the thought of Bufo. Also, no adults or any other herps were to be found, unfortunately. :confused:

Some new photos from today...

Attachments

• 20160502_215601[1].jpg
    20160502_215601[1].jpg
    32 KB · Views: 1,014
  • 20160502_215616[1].jpg
    20160502_215616[1].jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 284
  • 20160502_215746[1].jpg
    20160502_215746[1].jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 281
Definatly wood frog tadpoles if it was clumped eggs also the young ones I shave raised were identical soon after hatching. You probably already know dis cents been a few days ?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back