Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Do salamanders continue to grow after metamorphing?

Springlizard

Reaction score
Do salamanders reach their full size in the water or on land? I am wondering because I have two small tiger salamanders and I had been assuming they were juvenile but now after 3 months they haven't gotten bigger I am wondering if they could be full grown?

Blackbun

Reaction score
Hello Springlizard. Small as in.....? For salamanders that eventually become terrestrial, the vast majority of their growth will be on land. I'd expect to see some obvious growth after three months both in terms of length and girth but I'd not be at all worried if there wasn't. Some individuals grow faster than others whilst others can take an age.

Are they feeding ok? Is the water warm enough for them to be really active?

Springlizard

Reaction score
Thank you for taking the time to answer , blackbun

I have noticed them getting fatter ( although they are not obese) and I have not actually measure them but I would guess they are 5 inches?

They are eating great and are very active

ron1fritsch

Reaction score
I have been raising tiger salamanders since 1976. My very first salamanders in August that transformed to land version I fed every 3 days or so just worms. I kept track of their growth and found that these animals were 4.5" in beginning and two years later were around 7". They were more on the skinny side, but not sickly looking.

The following years, I fed them daily, mostly worms, some occasional fish and wax worms only occasionaly. These salamanders would look healthy and were growing to 8.5".-10".

My conclusion was they have their maximum growth in the first 2 years, so why not give them more food.

Springlizard

Reaction score
Alright good to know . I have been feeding everyday - every other day with crickets and worms

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1