Illness/Sickness: EMERGENCY PLEASE HELP!!! Axolotl with fungus on tail!!

Axolotl1

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have a 6 inch long axolotl. I was looking at him tonight and noticed a small( 0.75cm) cream colored fungus growing on the tip of his tail. I am really worried as about 5 days ago my betta fish died of a similar looking fungus. I don't have a water test kit but will get the water tested tomorrow. Also if this could signify anything his poo looks very dark almost black.

Does anyone know what this could be?
What is the cause?
What can I use to cure him?
Will he survive?

Thank you so much in advance.
9c80b2efc32bceebd892f216a9e26285.jpg
36aade3d3f44e3b2063c42a032a5978f.jpg
24bf0dc2379fb03157655e508d60f338.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi there.
I would do a 20% water change with dechlorinated water today, and get a water test kit as quickly as possible. I use the API freshwater master test kit. Not cheap, but provides a lot of tests, so works out very reasonable.
Test your water as quickly as possible and post the results here. Also let us know if there are any other symptoms - is he still eating, what is his diet, etc.
In the mean time, have a look at the information in the link. Axolotls - Health & Diseases
It mentions salt baths for fungal infections, but people have also been successful with a 10 minute bath using untreated tap water. Information on this can be found in the forum. Fungal infections caught early are very treatable at home, so don't panic yet.
I'm quite new to keeping axolotls, so if you can post as much information as possible and perhaps one of the more experienced keepers will be able to identify the problem and give you more specific advice. It may be worth waiting for this advice before deciding to treat your axolotl.
Best wishes for a full recover for your axolotl, and please keep us posted on progress.

Hey, our axolotl's could have different funguses but mine looked similar to yours. I isolated him from the tank and put him in a bin of dechlorinated water. I then fridged him for a few days and some of it came off in the water (you could see it floating.) I also used mild salt baths afterwards to get it all off. This is what worked for me but I don't know what the best course of action for you would be.. Good luck :love:

Attachments

• photo 2 (2).jpg
    photo 2 (2).jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 223
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back