Is my axle okay? (# of gills)

Sarramy

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just recently got my first axolotl and I'm hooked! The shop where I got him only had three and they weren't being very well taken care of (typical salamander set up, lots of land area, very little water space, especially for 3 of them). I chose one but noticed he doesn't have the normal amount of gills. He seems to only have 2 on one side, and 1 on the other. I think it looks like one if growing back on the side that has 2 but I don't know for sure.

I know axolotls have amazing regenerative properties but can they regrow gills too? Did mine just lose them (likely to a nippy tankmate) or do some axles just have fewer gills?

I'm going to try and attach a couple pictures to show you what I mean.

Attachments

• slagathor the mudkip.jpg
    slagathor the mudkip.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 245
  • slagathor the mudkip 2.jpg
    slagathor the mudkip 2.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 200
  • slagathor the mudkip 3.jpg
    slagathor the mudkip 3.jpg
    380.5 KB · Views: 247
I'm gonna wait for a more experienced owner to confirm this, but, i do not think that is an Axolotl, but is instead a tiger salamander larvae. Again, please wait for an more experienced owners conformation.

I will be so angry if that's the case. The shop assured me it was a wild type axolotl. Grrrrr...

How big do tiger salamander larvae grow?

I'm sorry to tell you ? that is a tiger salamander. I am not an expert by any means. I'm pretty sure they get like 7-12 inches but again I have no clue. That would explain the land space however. Start researching tiger salamanders :( sorry you got ripped off. From what I hear tiger salamanders make amazing pets too, who knows maybe better than an axolotl in your opinion!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dang it all. I can't keep a land salamander. That's why I wanted an axolotl, completely aquatic. They assured me it was an axolotl. Dang it! And from what I know of this shop they don't take returns. Ugh.

They should take returns as they have mis-sold you an incorrect item.
That is a tiger salamander, and if it is advertised as an axolotl then they have not sold you an axolotl. You were looking for a fully aquatic pet and that is not what you have got, and you are not set up for your aquatic pet to morph into a land animal.
If it's any help, my profile pic is of a juvenile wild type.
Best of luck.

It was labeled as a *mudpuppy* but when asked they confirmed it was an axolotl. Since it wasn't written down anywhere I don't know if they'll stand by that or not. I'm probably going to have to find a home for it myself.

I still can't tell a difference between a wild type axolotl and a tiger salamander. I'm a bit worried I'll run into this problem again in the future.

Dear Sarramy,

I'm really sorry you've been sold the wrong animal. It seems to me the shop doesn't really know a lot about amphibians.

This is a Mudpuppy: Mudpuppies, Mudpuppy Pictures, Mudpuppy Facts - National Geographic

You can see different types of axxie here: Axolotls - Genetics and Colour

And this is a Tiger Salamander: http://www.caudata.org/forum/f1173-...val-texas-barred-tiger-salamander-photos.html

Tiger Salamanders look a lot like Wild Type Axxies, but what gave it away for me was the pattening and colour. Most 'green' Wild Types aren't that lightly coloured and lack the 'khaki' patterning your Sal has (axxies tend to be an olive green with black spots, not moss green with green patches). My picture is a grey, white-bellied female Wild Type.

They should take the animal back because, as stated before, they mis-sold you the animal.

Thank you for explaining the difference. That is very helpful. :)

I'm going to contact the shop today but I'm not holding my breath. And to make it worse this is supposedly the most knowledgeable shop in town. Ugh.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back