How long can a newt produce eggs?

FreshCrayons

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi! I have what I now believe to be 2 chinese firebelly female newts. One of them is prolifically laying eggs (I even have a few larvae now). I was just wondering how long I can expect her to keep laying? If she doesn't come in contact with males next season can she still lay fertile eggs?
Thanks!

I'm not actually sure, I've never researched the question in depth, how long eggs will stay fertile I mean. She will probably produce eggs throughout her life, even elderly females still lay eggs regularly. Ask around how long that she'll lay fertile eggs though, I personally think only one or two, but some animals can hold sperm, so I don't know enough to answer your question with certainty

Hi FreshCanyons, I agree on Sith on this one. Newts can lay over a long period of time in a single season and go on producing and laying into old age. Be aware some females produce eggs but are capable or reabsorbing them (for some reason, maybe lack of food, old age, environmental stress like lack of water).

As for producing fertile eggs, it all comes down to the ability to store the sperm (that involves keeping the sperm cells alive and in one place). Some amphibian have special glands for keeping sperm and these will allow the female to produce fertile eggs for several seasons whilst others don't, yet sperm taken up in spermatophore can remain viable within the female's body for several months. Even these months can be extended if the animal is maintained in a cold environment.

As for your fire bellies, you might like to read this article and draw your own conclusions, The abstract sets the bs j ground information very well. There has been research on this and a sweep of Google will bring up plenty of scientific papers. Have a look at this one.

https://www.researchgate.net/profil...J_Exp_Zool/links/5609815f08ae576ce63e2a2e.pdf

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back