Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Introducing axolotls

Sherrie

Reaction score
My 2 axolotls are about 4 inches now and I was wondering how long until they can be put in the same tank I'm getting a 30 gallon also how do you introduce them in tank together?

Attachments

• IMG_20160504_145331.jpg
    IMG_20160504_145331.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_20160504_145342.jpg
    IMG_20160504_145342.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 128

SammyTheLotus

Reaction score
Hello! :)
Really it depends on how close in size they are to each other! Mine are sharing a 55 gallon right now and one is 4.5 inches while the other is 5! They've always shared an environment because there's less than one inch of size difference between them. :)
As well, when you're feeding them try to do it on opposite sides of your tank because it's very easy for one of them to get a little excited and accidentally snap at their tank mate during feeding time.
Perhaps get a tank divider and put them on either side for a few days just so they get used to seeing each other and being close together, then just take it out and keep an eye on them! :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1