Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Has my cycle crashed?

monkeh

Reaction score
I recently moved house and drained the tank by over 3/4 to move it. The tank still has all its original ornaments and substrate, and I've not changed the filter media, but I did clean some algae off the glass after I emptied it.

Previously, the tank had 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite, with nitrates at around 40. Today, I noticed the ammonia and nitrites were at 0.25, and the nitrate at 20. Have I crashed the cycle by changing so much water and cleaning the glass? Will I have to start all over again?

Donna001

Reaction score
It is not uncommon to start a mini-cycle when doing a very large water change.
I've read about it several times on a fish forum, and it is common when people move tanks or are a bit over enthusiastic when cleaning a filter.
You wouldn't normally have to start again, just monitor the water daily and do regular (daily or every other day) smaller water changes to keep to levels of toxins down whilst the cycle re-establishes.
If you have any concerns then you can always put your axolotl in a smaller tank/container and do daily 100% water changes (with dechlorinated water) on the small tank, whilst using bottled ammonia to complete the cycle in your larger tank.
I'm fairly new to this, so some of the more experienced keepers may have more advice for you.
Best of luck with getting your tank sorted. :happy:

monkeh

Reaction score
thanks for the advice - I hope that's all it is! I'll be keeping an eye on the levels daily to make sure it doesn't get out of control. I just hope it's not going to need full re-cycling!

monkeh

Reaction score
回复: Re: Has my cycle crashed?

So I tested the water again today and the ammonia showed as 0.25, the nitrite at 0 and nitrate at 20. I tested the tap water and it came up as 0.5!! From a different tap it seemed to test clear so I did a partial water change using that instead. Not sure at all what's going on with my cycle here - it all seemed ok for the last couple of weeks

Donna001

Reaction score
Be careful as, when doing some research to answer another thread recently, I found that if your water company treats with chloramine instead of chlorine this can cause a positive ammonia test result. You need to make sure that your water conditioner/dechlorinator treats for chloramine as well, and make sure you treat your water because leaving it stand to get rid of chlorine does nothing for chloramine.
Don't panic yet, but do check your water conditioner is suitable.

Sweetie

Reaction score
You're okay. Just keep monitoring as you are doing - the ammonia is not at a dangerous level and is dropping. It should continue to do so until it is back to zero. The nitrites and nitrates readings are fine.

monkeh

Reaction score
Donna - that's really interesting! I use API water conditioner which does remove chloramine as well, so that's a relief. The lotls seem perfectly fine right now so I'm going to keep an eye on the ammonia levels and hopefully it'll be fine. Thanks both for your advice :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1