Illness/Sickness: My Female Body all Curled up

bellyache

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Manchester Axolotls
My lovely 6 year old axolotl is poorly, it is laying on its side and body is all curled up and then it does barrel rolls, its like a dog when it tries to chase its tail. is it on its last legs and about to die? or is it something else.? it was put in a temp tub yesterday and has done a poo, but its not interested in the worm.

https://youtu.be/D_Bx4e5tDkk

Attachments

• DSCF9898.jpg
    DSCF9898.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 1,093
  • DSCF9902.jpg
    DSCF9902.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 538
Last edited:
I'm sorry but I've never seen an axolotl do that before. The floating on it's side has also been in another recent thread, but that axolotl would stop floating after it pooped, but then gas would build up again and it would float, until it pooped again. The owner changed it's food as there was a possibility that it was causing bacteria in the stomach, which in turn created gas that make the axolotl float.
Did your axolotl stop floating for a while after pooping? How long has it been floating? When was the last time it ate? When was the last time it pooped?
I'm sorry can't be more help as I'm quite new to keeping axolotls, but I'm sure one of the more experienced keepers will be along soon to help.

I'm sorry but I've never seen an axolotl do that before. The floating on it's side has also been in another recent thread, but that axolotl would stop floating after it pooped, but then gas would build up again and it would float, until it pooped again. The owner changed it's food as there was a possibility that it was causing bacteria in the stomach, which in turn created gas that make the axolotl float.
Did your axolotl stop floating for a while after pooping? How long has it been floating? When was the last time it ate? When was the last time it pooped?
I'm sorry can't be more help as I'm quite new to keeping axolotls, but I'm sure one of the more experienced keepers will be along soon to help.

been like this 3 days now and no interest in food, it poo'd at night so was in bed at the time, started on its side then for the past 1.5 days its been chasing its tail and does that 2 times an hour for about 5 mins at a time.

One of the more experienced keepers will probably have more of an idea of what is happening and be able to give you some advice.
I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for a rapid recovery for your axolotl.

This sounds like this may be something neurological. I would advise you to take your axolotl to a vet. Contact your vet and ask if they have anyone who treats exotic animals , they will be able to advise you of some one who can see your axolotl. I suggest that you email photo's of your axolotl in advance of the appointment. This will give your vet a chance to consult another vet for advice.

Inverted swimming in adults for prolonged periods is typically something more serious and would require the expertise of a vet, as Julia suggested. A couple years ago I had a juvenile looked at by a vet for showing erratic behavior consistently for days, including swimming in corkscrews. It was determined to be neurological and treated with peritoneal injections of amikacin along with baytril orally over several days. He made a full recovery, however if I had waited a day or two, I'm confident he would have passed away. His health was deteriorating that quickly.

If you're not going to see the vet for a few days, I would fridge to help stabilize him until your appointment. I would also consider lowering the water level to see if it reduces stress as he appears to have some gas trapped in his alimentary track.

she died at 2pm today
23/11/09 - 09/05/16

Attachments

• DSCF9905.jpg
    DSCF9905.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 667
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back