Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: How do I keep an axolotl cool in Australia in 113 degree heat?

Goliad

Reaction score
G'day I live in Australia where summers are between 86-113 degrees Fahrenheit on a daily basis. Yup you read that right ! Up to 45 degrees Celsius where no one can go to work because your face will burn off in the sun if you go outside.

So my question is, how do I keep my 60l/15 gallon tank cool during this hideous weather? I know I need to invest in a chiller, but I have no idea what kind.

I need a chiller that is quiet, reliable with a temperature display and that doesn't cost a fortune to buy or to run.

I would like to start saving up so that I can be prepared to keep Goliad, my golden albino axolotl, nice and cool in summer.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks :) :D:D

baster55

Reaction score
Some things you can trie is Styrofoam under and around the tank, a clip on fan on the tank, point your filter blower outer thing up towards the surface, keep away from direct sunlight, water changes, a frozen plastic coke bottle{in emergencies) put it in the basement, and get your chiller from ebay? i spent maybe 40 bucks to drop mine about ten degress, but then again, i moved from sydney to sweden about a year ago

Denaye

Reaction score
Haha as a born and bred aussie who loves the heat "toughen up princess" ?

But seriously I have a cheap common fan attached to my tank and it maintains 18-20 degrees Celsius (sorry I'm aussie I don't talk Faren).

I spent 4 yrs living up north of Western Australia where it reaches 35-50 on a regular basis even in winter is still around 25-35. 3 of those years I had my first axy and no chiller. She survived and flourished just fine at 23-27 degrees just with house hold air-conditioning. It actually took her a few months to adapt to the cooler temps in her new tank, but her new tank mates needed the cooler temperatures.

I just make sure to keep the glass lids positioned so they catch the air currents and push them back over the water. Evaporation is an issue thoughand tank needs weekly top ups.

Hang in there you'll get used to the heat ☺

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Denaye

Reaction score
Cost me $10 at Coles

30cf8ae7d15abf4e1d24463db257b30e.jpg

These two recently became proud parents. Bertie is my wild girl (4yrs) and Bruce our golden albino male (1yr).

d7f7e7eda4b12adb0a0092e726c93b56.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

big a little a

Caudata.org Donor
Reaction score
I definitely wouldn't feel comfortable allowing my tank to get up to 23-27 degrees.

Re chillers, I've bought two over the years, both second-hand - both have worked great (the first was only replaced after being being battered about when moving house) and were relatively cheap to buy.

I bought my current chiller from eBay for around £100 - courier fee was around £25 - and brand new, the chiller costs around £500. All I had to buy then was the pipes and a pump (around £40). I keep my chiller in a cabinet, so not too noisy, although you have to factor in ventilation - I have the doors propped open a little to allow this.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 315

Goliad

Reaction score
Awesome thank you so much! Now I can be prepared for the tough summer!!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1