Red toes?

Kasye

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just noticed on one of my juvie axie's feet, the toes look shorter, and the edges are red. The redness is very slight, so I'm hoping it's just a minor injury that'll heal, but I'll watch him closely to see if it spreads. His behavior is completely normal (well, as "normal" as an axolotl can be, haha!).

I just tested the water and have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and 10-20 nitrate.

Just wanted to check on here to see if anyone thinks it could be something worse than a scrape!

srNqe8Y.jpg

Ignore the mess, I noticed this while feeding him.

If it is just a scrape then just keep the water parameters good and it will give your axolotl the best environment in which to heal itself.
If it is anything else then you will probably see other symptoms appear.
Even with a scrape keep a close eye for fungus/infection.
There is some health information in the link, just to be on the safe side.
Axolotls - Health & Diseases
Best of luck and keep us posted.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back