What do I need for an axolotl?

onewithnopowers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am new to all this and I'm starting at the very beginning. I have a tank that is 100cm in length, 40cm in height and 30cm in depth. That's it.
I want to know, as I live in Edinburgh Scotland, what kind of water is good? Do I need a water conditioner if so what brand should I get? Can I use bottled Spring water such as Highland Spring? Or should I just leave buckets of tap water to sit for 48 hours?
Also what type and brand of filter should I use? (Please send me links to these filter products if possible).
And again what type of substrate should I use? (Please send some links of these).
I also have a friend of a friend who owns fish (not sure if this applies to axolotls) who mentioned about having bacteria to cycle the ammonia and nitrites. Also I would like to links to some good water testing kits as well. I know axolotls like to eat blood worms and earth worms. I also have a turkey baster and some tongs as these looked useful for feeding and cleaning the tank.
Also I have not started cycling my tank and how is this done? And what other decorations can I use that is also safe.

Hi there and welcome to the forum. :happy:

For information on axolotl care the following sites are great, and will answer all of your questions.
Caudata Culture Axolotl Articles
Axolotls: The Fascinating Mexican Axolotl and the Tiger Salamander

I have only been keeping axolotls for just over 2 months, but I can tall you what I have:-
I use tap water and I use Tetra AquaSafe water conditioner. You can leave water sit for chlorine to evaporate, but that wont deal with anything else, which the water conditioner does. There is an article in the first link regarding the use of bottled water, but I use tap water because it's free and it works.
I use the Aqua Internal 200 filter with the spray bar aimed towards the glass to reduce the water movement.
https://fishkeeper.co.uk/product/aqua-range-aqua-internal-200-filter
I use an aquatic sand substrate, the same as I use for my fish tanks. Do not use gravel as this cause impaction. If you get very young axolotls it is better to have a bare bottomed tank as sand can cause impaction in very young ones.
Your friend is correct, you do need bacteria in your tank. The nitrogen cycle is very important and you should cycle your tanks before introducing your axolotls.
Here is a link to a fish forum that I use, and I found that tank cycle explanation quite straight forward.
FISHLESS CYCLING - HOW TO DO IT | Think Fish Tropical Aquarium Forum
I use the API Master Test kit. you will find this at most aquatic stores, but it is usually cheaper online. It may seem expensive but you get a lot of tests, so it works out cheaper in the long run.
Welcome to API Fishcare: FRESHWATER MASTER TEST KIT
All décor for my tanks have been ones suitable for fish tanks.

I hope that answers most of your questions.
Please read through the links and come back to the forum to ask any further questions.
As I say, I'm quite new, but did several months research on those sites before getting my axolotls (6 to date). More experienced keepers may give slightly different advice.

Best of luck and keep us posted on your progress.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back