Oddballs

xxianxx

Reaction score
Country
Wales
Display Name
nai live
A few of my odd looking axolotls. First is a half and half " chimera", the second a melanoid with white patches, possibly piebald, third has a golden head, albino eyes , white body with dirty markings.

Attachments

• 1463155308467-1728422543.jpg
    1463155308467-1728422543.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 259
  • 1463155363525499749448.jpg
    1463155363525499749448.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 239
  • 1463156248999-165105825.jpg
    1463156248999-165105825.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 210
Your babies are so cool looking �� I had the chance to ask the breeder I got two of mine from how much he wanted for his adult chimera. The price of $700 had me backing up pretty fast. ��

Your babies are so cool looking �� I had the chance to ask the breeder I got two of mine from how much he wanted for his adult chimera. The price of $700 had me backing up pretty fast. ��

Rarity value has its price lol. I'm looking to line breed mine, if it survives, see if I an get some more.

They're fascinating! So beautiful! I know two embryo's fusing creates a chimera, but what could cause the golden head, albino eyes, white body with dirty markings? That's the *geek out mode activated* coolest thing I've seen in ages!!

They're fascinating! So beautiful! I know two embryo's fusing creates a chimera, but what could cause the golden head, albino eyes, white body with dirty markings? That's the *geek out mode activated* coolest thing I've seen in ages!!

Apparently it's not two eggs fusing which causes this and the correct term is "mosaic"

Oh, right! I thought that's how chimera's came to be, I'm glad I've been corrected, it's always good to be informed. It's all so fascinating!
A mosaic axolotl, unbelievably amazing.
Did these all come from the same parents/batch of eggs? They're beautiful.
You must be so proud!

I have a couple thousand axolotl from 6\7 batches, not sure which ones they came from

A couple of thousand?! Hats off to you, that's incredible.

They are pretty, how are chimeras formed? I thought it was two eggs fusing together too.

They are pretty, how are chimeras formed? I thought it was two eggs fusing together too.

So did I, I was corrected on face book, hopefully a sciency type will turn up with some info :)

I found the facebook thread interesting Ian. What I took from it was this regarding Chimeras. Amphibian eggs can't fuse because of the individual membrane walls surround each. So it's genetic mutation or accident and not a fusion. Apparently piebald can be inherited, but mosaic isn't. I'll doing some research into this because it's simply fascinating and I want to know more!

AW: Oddballs

hopefully they survive into adulthood...thier containers look pretty dirty :/ clean h20 changes will certainly help thier odds..

Re: AW: Oddballs

hopefully they survive into adulthood...thier containers look pretty dirty :/ clean h20 changes will certainly help thier odds..

Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate people taking time out of their busy schedule to advise me on basic axolotl care . If you have any more tips for me please feel free to comment :)

Been searching my larval tanks, all 30 of them , and have found a few more oddballs, seven definites and a couple of probables. Going to grow them on, if I can manage to keep their tubs clean and get a bit more advice from the knowledgeable people in this group. Hopefully I can produce some more mosaics next year.

Will you be posting pictures of your awesome oddballs? They're so fascinating to look at.

It's been about six weeks since the last pics, the oddballs have gone from 1.5" to around 4.5". The split one has a leucistic side with a black splodge, what appears to be wild type on the other is actually iridescent, can't get it on camera as I suck at pics

Attachments

• IMG_20160620_100113.jpg
    IMG_20160620_100113.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 206
  • IMG_20160620_100637.jpg
    IMG_20160620_100637.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 160
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back