Male? Female? Too young? What are your guesses!?

stephycarter09

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Stephy
Just trying to get some opinions on what my new axie might be! :)

Attachments

• 20160513_213225.jpg
    20160513_213225.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 140
  • 20160513_213229.jpg
    20160513_213229.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 148
  • 20160513_213238.jpg
    20160513_213238.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 121
Might be too young to tell, they say it can take 2 and a half years to accurately sex some axolotl's. Do you have any idea of his/her age? You sure do have a little beauty though!
I hope someone more experienced will be able to give you a gender.

I'm not 100% on age. I just got him/her. It's toes are already black but I'm still not sure on age or gender.

At the moment I would say female but without knowing age it is not certain whether she may become a he at some stage. Black toes doesn't mean they are sexually mature. What length is your axolotl?

About 6inches. I've read on multiple sites and in books that the toes turn black in albinos when they reach their sexual maturity. My boys were pretty easy to tell pretty early on. I've had them for about 6-7 years now.

It may be too early to tell. I would wait a bit longer. It is documented that the black toes indicates sexual maturity in axolotls but many get black toes well before they develop their male parts and whilst they are juveniles. Some axolotls can take longer than others to develop their male parts.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back