Feeding small axies

Sarramy

Reaction score
Country
United States
I finally have two small axolotls (about 3-4") but I'm running into a problem feeding them. Because I got two I have them in a larger tank than a 10 gallon and this makes it hard to ensure their food is going to them. In my 10 gal I can feed my tiger salamander easily because it's so shallow. I can dangle a worm right in front of him, easy peasy. But I can't easily reach the bottom of the larger axie tank, plus I don't think it's good for the water parameters to constantly be reaching in there adding in skin oils.

Is it too stressful for the axies for me to scoop them into a separate, smaller, container each day at feeding time? It's the only way I can tell for sure if they actually eat but I don't want to stress them out too much either.

I have tried that but I can't tell for sure is they are eating. And they still look a bit thin, so I want to be sure they actually get enough.

You could always put the containers into the tank, rather than take the axolotls out. Use a container each and it will contain them and the food so that you can observe them eating. A food tub/sandwich box type of thing would be fine. One of the recent threads (sorry, can't remember which one) had a picture of someone using a jar in the tank for feeding, and they guided their axolotl into the glass jar.
When mine were that size they ate quite well. My only problem with bloodworms was the mess, so I got my little ones to eat out of an old jar lid to contain the worms.
Chances are that they are eating fine, but sometimes it's reassuring to be able to see how much they eat.
Please post some photos of your new little ones, I'd love to see them. :happy:

That is a great idea! I never thought about that. Would make clean up a lot easier too since it'll all be in the same place. Thanks!

Here's some pics. :)

Attachments

• tiny grablets.jpg
    tiny grablets.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 259
  • blurry axie stack.jpg
    blurry axie stack.jpg
    384.8 KB · Views: 608
  • thing 2 or thing 1 maybe.jpg
    thing 2 or thing 1 maybe.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 167
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back