Question: How to lower output of topfin multi stage internal filter?

Mewtwo

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Mewtwo
When I found out my waterfall filter was creating too much current I set out to fix it. I bought a top fin internal filter today, but when I plugged it in, the output is WAY higher than my waterfall filter!! Even on the lowest setting with the spray bar. How do I fix this? :(

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 2,912
When I found out my waterfall filter was creating too much current I set out to fix it. I bought a top fin internal filter today, but when I plugged it in, the output is WAY higher than my waterfall filter!! Even on the lowest setting with the spray bar. How do I fix this? :(

Just make sure you keep it on the lowest setting and point the spray bar so that it's hitting the wall of your tank! :) That way it won't bother your Axies since the flow will be interrupted against the wall.

Also be careful with your temperature with this new filter, I used to have an internal filter and is raised my tank temperature by a couple of degrees. :(

I tried that first because I kind of panicked, and One of the axies was literally swept off his feet because he was swimming near the wall. =( it shoved him down. :errr: I'm afraid it may be worse than the waterfall. How do I make this thing lessen? I've taken it apart and looked at everything inside And I can't find a way to make it less.

As we speak in ringing sand to put in the bottom, and I got a new hide thing for them with a flat top for feeding.

I tried that first because I kind of panicked, and One of the axies was literally swept off his feet because he was swimming near the wall. =( it shoved him down. :errr: I'm afraid it may be worse than the waterfall. How do I make this thing lessen? I've taken it apart and looked at everything inside And I can't find a way to make it less.

As we speak in ringing sand to put in the bottom, and I got a new hide thing for them with a flat top for feeding.

What I did was spray UPWARDS at the wall, not down.. I had the filter just below the water surface and pointed the spray bar against the wall but on an upward angle instead of downward :) And I never had any issues with it.

Won't that be really loud?my tanks are in my bedroom..

Also, will the cloudiness of the tank after I put the sand in hurt or affect the axies at all?im rinsing it off as best I can, but I'm sure there will still be some murkiness,

Won't that be really loud?my tanks are in my bedroom..

Also, will the cloudiness of the tank after I put the sand in hurt or affect the axies at all?im rinsing it off as best I can, but I'm sure there will still be some murkiness,

It shouldn't be as long as it's covered by the water line! Mine was in my bedroom too and never had an issue.
And honestly if it's best for my Axies I wouldn't care if it was a little loud :)

Thanks for the help =) the sand is in, water is mostly clear and new filter is running. Hopefully, it dosnt hurt my axies too much as it recycles, as long as I do extra PWC's..:eek:

I have a frozen water bottle floating inside to lower the temp for now. I don't have any fans high enough to put on the top.

A picture of their new set up =)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 2,208
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back