Red lights?

Sarramy

Reaction score
Country
United States
Years ago when I first got hooked on fish keeping I read that putting a red filter over the lights would *trick* the fish into thinking it was a night cycle. That way you could keep the lights on longer and enjoy an illuminated tank without stressing the fish. I don't know if this has been debunked since then but I was wondering if something like that would work for axolotls and tiger salamanders? I like having lights on so I can see my lil cuties but I don't want to hurt their eyes either. Would red lights, or a red filter over the light, work?

Lights of any kind are bad for Axolotl, they can stress them out and they really don't enjoy them. If you're going to leave your lights on I would recommend not doing it for hours at a time, and making sure they have plenty of hiding spaces to get away from it if they want to! :)
But personally I don't even use a light on my tank, I've heard too many bad things about lights and axolotls.

I only use my lights currently when I'm actually in the room looking at them. The tanks just look so dark and unappealing though. I know it's just my personal preference to have light though, so if there's no way to do it without hurting them then I won't. I was just hoping perhaps the red filter would work for them like fish.

I only use my lights currently when I'm actually in the room looking at them. The tanks just look so dark and unappealing though. I know it's just my personal preference to have light though, so if there's no way to do it without hurting them then I won't. I was just hoping perhaps the red filter would work for them like fish.

I honestly have no idea about the red light but it would be cool if it worked the same way! :)

I don't know about red light, but have you thought of the blue "moonlight" lights for aquariums.
Also, if you do try the red filter, make sure you have lots of places for the axolotls to hide in case the red light doesn't work as expected.

I'll check the moonlight lights. Thanks! Are they special lights or just blue lights? I have a blue LED light that I could put on the tank but I thought it might be harsher for their eyes.

I'm guessing that they are all the same thing. Perhaps have the lights pointing up/away from the axis rather than at them. They blue lights can be quite bright, so you could also try shading them with some plants or something.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back