Haven't seen my Axolotl poop yet and I also think he is constipated

JaredS5

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey, I just got my Axolotl about one weak and half ago.. I haven't seen him poop yet! I feed him earthworms once a day..

Edit: My axolotl is trying to poop but cannot! He has a very hard time moving around and I can see the poop trying to get out.

Any help?

Attachments

• IMG_20160515_013901.jpg
    IMG_20160515_013901.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 2,898
Hi sorry to hear about your new friend. You said you just got it. Do you know if where you got it if they keep them in a tank with gravel?

No I do not, I got him shipped from Jungle Bob's in New York. It's been 6 hours since I posted that he's constipated and he's still doing the same thing

I think Cliff is wondering if your axolotl has been kept on a gravel substrate, has ingested some gravel and is now compacted. Gravel is a big problem for axolotls as they have so much trouble passing it when ingested.
A treatment is fridging, and you will find a guide to this in the link
http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-be...ick-axolotl/85263-axolotl-fridging-guide.html
I've only kept axolotls for a few months, so perhaps Cliff or one of the other experienced people on the forum can confirm this treatment, or offer other suggestions.
Best of luck and please keep us posted.

I use sand not gravel, I'm going to try to fridge him see if that works, he seems bloated too

Donna explained what i was trying to say. I don't think you're sand should bother him/her. I don't have axolotl i have newts. But i try to read and keep up on sick axolotl and newts forums. Swallowing gravel is common for axolotl with constipation. I would post this under newt and salamander help to. I don't know about the fridge i have never put anything in the fridge. I have been lucky and not had a sick newt yet. They say to put newt in the fridge to for fungus. I am very skeptical about this cold should slow progress not stop it? I would assume you would have to flash freeze it to kill it. Witch would kill the newt or axolotl to. But i am not a vet.

I will repeat my self in case you didn't get the message i sent. You posted a question on a post from 2012 about killing your Axolotl by putting him in the fridge. So i dont know how fast you will get a response on that old thread. But you Can put your Axolotl in the fridge. There is a spot on this site on how to frige a Axolotl. Sorry i don't know how to put up a link. But you could Google it and it will come up under Caudata.org. axoloti fridging guide.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back