Axies regurgitating red wigglers

Mewtwo

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Mewtwo
I fed my axies red wigglers for the first time today, and I noticed no problem at first. They both gobbled their share up eagerly. But now, an hour later, I look over to see the Lucy absolutely flipping out, before regurgitating what looks like everything he/she had eaten!!
I'm. Or sure if the other did the same or not.

What on earth caused this?

I fed my axies red wigglers for the first time today, and I noticed no problem at first. They both gobbled their share up eagerly. But now, an hour later, I look over to see the Lucy absolutely flipping out, before regurgitating what looks like everything he/she had eaten!!

I'm. Or sure if the other did the same or not.

What on earth caused this?

Most Axolotl don't like red wigglers because when they're stressed, they emit a mucous like substance that Axolotl don't seem to enjoy the taste of!
So that's what probably caused them to regurgitate. :(
I would stick with nightcrawlers/earthworms, and if you find they're too big you can cut them into smaller pieces to suit your Axies! :)

I thought night crawlers weren't ideal for axies because they had jaws or something? Or which worm is it that I'm thinking of?

Nope, Nightcrawlers are what you wanna be aiming for. They taste much better. Mine would quite literally prefer starving than eating red wigglers lol. And that's saying something, being that they're axolotls and regularly try to eat anything that moves in front of their face.

So..I found out I'm terrified of worms. And I found out how big night crawlers are. My grandpa says they're up to almost a foot long. Is that true?! Would...I have to cut them up?....:errr:

The night crawlers for sale at the pet store here are definitely no where near a foot long. I don't know enough about worms to know if they ever get that big, but I imagine you can find smaller ones for sale.

I don't think they're that big, the ones I buy are just regular earthworms and they're about 6-7 inches long. If your axie is small you'll have to cut them up, yeah.
I usually put the worm in a small cup and run hot water over it, then run some cold. The action seems to stun/kill the worm so that when I cut it up it isn't moving around and wiggling.
It's gross at first but you'll get used to it! :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back