Breeding Channel catfish.

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
England
I don't think it will be long before my three Channel cats will be mature and I would like to give breeding them a go. Almost all the info I can find online relates to farming them for food or using them in aquaponics, I know they will need some kind of secure cave type structure for the female to lay her eggs and I already have that part worked out, but that's about all I know at this point. I realise this is an amphibian forum, not Planet Catfish, but there's a lot of members from the USA where this might have been done before so I figured I'd ask here first. :)

Channel cats are like roaches. They are very prolific! Delicious too if you cook em right. Otherwise they taste like mud.

Lol, they're my pets, I couldn't eat them.. mind you, they do look like there's a lot of meat on 'em! 8) 8)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back