Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Help my axolotl has no gills, no frill, really messed up legs and he can shut his mouth!!!!

joey

Reaction score
Hi guys

This is my first time posting so i'm not really sure about what i'm doing:confused:

Anyway my axolotl has been sick for a few weeks now and i'm getting really worried:( . I did have small rocks in the tank and i think he might have eaten one:eek:. The next day when i got home he had curled up his legs and he was in a weird position. i left him a few days just to make sure then i put him in the fridge ( for three days) and salt baths him once a day. Since then i have done a 100% water change and put him back in his tank. But he isnt moving. Another problem is that his mouth is wide open and he wont shut it so i can feed him!

Someone please help i think he might die and he is very special to me!:(

Skudo09

Reaction score
Salt baths are for treatment of fungus and is a very irritating treatment so may not have been the best thing to do in this situation. It is important to work out what the problem is before rushing into treatments as giving incorrect treatments may cause more harm than good.

Is your tank cycled? Did you test the parameters? Could you post some photos? At this stage, it may be unlikely he will pull through but if you have a vet in your area, it may be worth taking him there.

joey

Reaction score
thanks for the help guys,

we went to take him to the vet today but it was to late:(
he has since passed.

auntiejude

Reaction score
I'm sorry for your loss, I know how hard it is to lose pets.

But for future reference, please try and act sooner when you suspect an axie may be sick. The sooner you can get some help - either here or from a vet - the better their chances of survival. I suspect in this case that it was a bacterial infection, and would have needed a visit to a vet for antibiotics.

i'm not really sure about what i'm doing..... my axolotl has been sick for a few weeks now and i'm getting really worried

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1