Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: E. cirrigera in distress?

LydiaL

Reaction score
My two lined salamander larvae recently got his water cleaned. I put some new plants in his little space to spice things up. Just some plantains which he has had before. I rinsed them etc. His new water was dechlorinated a few hours ago. When I put my little guy in his tank, he liked it and was taking in his new arrangement. A few minutes later he couldn't sit still. He would swim a few inches and have to swim to the top of the water like he was taking a gulp of air or something. Then he would sit on the plants so he was closer to the surface, then rapidly swim to another spot, come up for air etc. He was doing this like every thirty seconds. So, after a few minutes, I put him in a tank where I have my daphnia being raised, because I knew the water would be fine there. He was still swimming around a lot and coming up to the surface. Even after about five minutes.

Is he distressed? Is he excited for his new tank or something or is it the water quality? I don't have a water testing kit I just assumed everything would be fine. I even tasted some of his water and it seemed okay to me. It tasted a little weird I guess, kinda left a film (well not really a film... maybe I would describe it like old water that has been sitting out for a few days) Help my little guy!:(

LydiaL

Reaction score
In desperate measures:tongue: I took each of the plants out and tasted them to see what the problem may be. According to my tongue, on of the plants tasted very weird and left a film over my tongue. Darn you plant.

I will see how he does now.

Now, I will taste test all of my plants before putting them in with my little guy.:D

Oh my.

Sith the turtle

Reaction score
Did you leave some of the cycled water in the tank for it? Sounds like it may be stressed because of water quality. Here's an article to help you out: Caudata Culture Articles - Cycling And also, worth pointing out that licking something you placed with an animal is an easy way to get you or your animals sick as well. Take care and be safe! :happy:

LydiaL

Reaction score
Thanks Xavier, he's doing fine now, I think the plants weren't the issue, I think he was just stressed about his new environment. Not that you care, but I noticed my little guy begs for food now. Exciting:D (and about licking the plants, it wasn't more of a lick but like touching my tongue to them and wondering if something is wrong with me LOL)

Sith the turtle

Reaction score
Yup, sounds like he/she is doing good now, typically this species will beg for food when healthy, so sounds like you're doing good

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1