Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl changing colour

melfly

Reaction score
Hi, not been on here for a long time! Has anyone had an axolotl change colour.

The axolotl pictured is about 6 years old. A couple of months ago he started to loose his pigment. He was a normal wild.

He was kept with two other axolotl at my mother in laws. We brought him home to keep an eye on him.

I've not posted this in sick axolotl because I don't believe he is ill...

Thanks Mel

Attachments

• WP_20160520_003.jpg
    WP_20160520_003.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 268

Zobug

Reaction score
If all of your water parameters are fine, and he's behaving normally, I'm wondering if it's vitiligo. That's the first thing that popped into my head when I saw the pictures. Maybe someone with more axolotl experience can either disprove me or back me up on that.

melfly

Reaction score
This is what I thought also.
I have heard of some axolotls that were about 1 year old doing this, which I think was vertiligo of some sort. But not this age.

He is otherwise healthy, normal behaviour, eating well, no slime or film on his skin. No fungus etc

Water parameters are just fresh water at the min as he's in a tub in the kitchen changed daily.

auntiejude

Reaction score
Yes, it's vitiligo. I have a wild who started out as a regular wild and has faded to look leucisitc - here's a during and after pic:

Attachments

• Patch.jpg
    Patch.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 450
  • P1030940.jpg
    P1030940.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 231

melfly

Reaction score
Wow! Thank you for posting. At what age did your axolotl start to change and how long before he finished?

Is he perfectly healthy otherwise?

Thanks Mel

auntiejude

Reaction score
He started losing colour at about 5 year, I took him in at 6 years, he's now 7.

Denaye

Reaction score
Well there you go! I too have vitiligo so very cool to know axy's get it too :)

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1