Tiger Salamand Setup

Jerik

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello. This is my first post in Caudata and I'm excited to be able to join.
I've had 3 tiger salamanders for just over a year now. They are currently in a 36x12x12 in. aquarium tank. I used what information that I had read from varius sources to make it but I just want to be sure that it is a fine setup.
Anything would be appreciated. Thank you~

The divider was made from plastic; cut and sanded to be round and attached with an aquarium safe silicone gel, the gel also covers the top edge just to be careful.
The substrate is coconut husk fibre.
The cord is to a small filter just to keep the water slightly moving and a little cleaner.
There is usually a mesh top and a small desk lamp on a 12 hour day/night cycle.
The pvc is fairly new but I sanded all of it down so there arent any sharp edges.

Attachments

• 20160520_200051.jpg
    20160520_200051.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 228
  • 20160520_200137.jpg
    20160520_200137.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 170
Hi Jerik and welcome to the forum. :happy:
I like your tank.
I'm a fairly new axolotl keeper, so can't really give you any useful advice on your set up, but I'm sure some of the tiger salamander keepers will be along soon to have a look at your pictures.
Please keep us posted on your progress and we'd love to see some pictures of your salamanders in their new set up. :happy:

Nice setup! The water area isnt necessary but so long as the divider doesnt leak water into the coya it doesnt do any harm. Nice use of the pvc tubing though! Do they use them?

Sent from my D2305 using Tapatalk

They have started to use the PVC tubing but it sure took a while. They would mostly burrow under it, using it as a stable roof more than as a tunnel.
Since this picture though I did change the longer tube on top out for just a small log (cleaned and sanded all the sharp edges) and they seem to go under it just as before.

Reading some other threads on set ups, should I remove the small water area and get a water dish and fill it in with substrate?

I think its alright as it is to be honest. A 3 foot viv is plenty of space to have a small water area in if you want one. A full base of substrate with a water bowl would be easier to clean and give a more useful area for the salamanders to wander about in, but so long as your water area doesnt leak into the substrate theres bothing really wrong with what you've got

Sent from my D2305 using Tapatalk

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back