Very New at having an Axolotl

Branwen

Reaction score
Country
Costa Rica
Hi All,

I am from the beautiful Costa Rica but currently living in also beautiful Isle of Man.

A friend of mine had to leave the Island and moved back home so, she asked me to take care of her Axolotl as she couldn't take him with her. At first I was fascinated by him, his name is Quetzal and is turning 6 years in July, now... I just love him :happy:

I am very new at figuring out his needs, the stuff he likes and his care but the more I learn about these amazingly smart creatures, the more in love I feel. I'm even thinking about getting another one or a Tiger Salamander.... I had no idea of how beautiful amphibians could be and never thought of having one myself! For this I thank life and my friend.

I am a Spanish teacher and I consider myself very passionated about my profession too :D

Well, I hope I can learn as much as possible from you all and eventually contribute with the community myself.

Oh by the way, I came here because Quetzal's vet recommended the website :smile:

Cheers Everybody!

Branwen

Hi Branwen and welcome to the forum. :happy:
I am also quite new to keeping axolotls as I've only had mine for just less than 3 months. Axolotls are adorable and it's difficult not to love them. A tiger salamander would be fascinating because you would eventually have a terrestrial salamander.
Also, many thanks to the vet for the recommendation, it is an awesome reflection on the founder for setting up such an amazing site, and the experienced keepers who help us out when we need advice.
:happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back