Help! Accidentally used methylene blue based product. How to check safety of tank?

omgitsmogo

Reaction score
Country
United States
So I had a breakout of worms and mistakenly used a treatment that had methylene blue. As soon as I realized (only about 2 hours later) I took my one juvenile axie out and he has seemed 100% fine since (that was over 4 days ago so I am assuming I made it in time)

My question now is how do I assure the safety of the tank without entirely starting over? This is a 75 gallon tank so it would take an extremely long time to empty, refill, and then cycle.

My current plan is that I have been doing 50% water changes every day with my new siphon and that eventually after a week the concentration of the original treatment should be 0 or very very close to 0. My other concern however is that the tank has sand substrate. Is it possible that the methylene blue has become trapped in the sand and it will still be toxic? Is anyone aware of a way to test for the presence of methylene blue?

Thanks so much!

Dear Omgitsmogo,

I know this is hard but try not to worry too much. Methylene Blue is listed as a 'safe or relatively safe' treatment for axxies in low doses here: Axolotls - Health & Diseases

You can add Polyfilter to the tank if you'd like, which will absorb the Methylene Blue (it will change colour when it has done so), but Polyfilter is pricey (mine costs about £10 a block).

If you didn't use a lot, I wouldn't worry too much. Keep an eye on your axxie for the moment and observe him, but I should think you will be fine.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back