When can I feed my axolotl pellets?

CortAndCat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey all, had a question. When can I start feeding my axolotl, Abe, pellets? He's over 5 inches long and is about 4 months old. I've tried finding this answer elsewhere but haven't had any luck. Thanks for your time and consideration.

What are you feeding him at the moment?
My juveniles were a bit younger/smaller than that when I moved them onto a diet of mainly earthworms, as these are the more nutritionally complete food for axolotls, with some pellets, prawn and mussels for variety.
Sometimes it can be quite difficult to change their diet, and you may need to keep trying to offer worms and pellets to get him to change.
If you have a look at the "feeding" section in the link this will give you some information on diet.
Caudata Culture Axolotl Articles
Best of luck and please keep us posted on your progress.

He's currently being fed frozen bloodworms. The bloodworms are thawed beforehand, of course. Also, thanks for all the support! :)

Last edited:
Like Donna said, earthworms are the best diet for a lotl, and mine were around your size when I started offering those to them! It didn't take long at all, and they go crazy for them! Pellets on the other hand took a little more getting used to, but just be patient and eventually they'll at least give them a try! :)
What kind of pellets do you have for your little guy? :)

I start my axolotls on Soft moist salmon pellets when they are 2 to 3 inches long. The pellets are a more nutritionally complete diet than frozen bloodworms. Salmon pellets are accepted quickly by axolotls and no training is needed. They are easier to use and less expensive than earthworms. I feed 3/32" pellets to small axolotls and 5/32" pellets to larger axolotls.

@Samantha, we haven't started feeding Abe any pellets yet. We don't own any at this point. But we are considering making the change. Thanks for all the help, you guys! :)

There are quite a few types, salmon pellets are suggested, as well as all the different types specifically for axolotls. They are much less messy than feeding bloodworms, and a much less gross than feeding live earthworms.
I have also fed my fellas on strips of raw fish, which they also seemed to enjoy, but I think that worms and pellets are better for them for a complete diet.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back