Axolot fighting- missing gills

Sanguis Lust

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have two axolots in a 20 gallon long aquarium. ( Mudkip and Chernobyl) I got Chernobyl recently a little smaller than Mudkip. I notice they been fighting when I saw gills missing :eek: the next few days my poor Mudkip has no more gills left, he seems healthy other wise . The youngest one seems to be more aggressive and faster than my oldest , and they fight over the same house, though I have two for them. I been feeding them on opposite ends of the aquarium just to keep that little devil at bay. Will my oldest be ok? Should I divide them?

Hi there and welcome to the forum. :happy:

I would separate them for now. You can buy or make a divider for use in your tank.
Silly Axolotls
When they get closer to being the same size you can try re-introducing them again, unless their behaviour while the divider is in the tank suggests that they really don't get one. As they mature they get less prone to biting, so you may have to wait quite a while before they can be together again.
You will also need to keep an eye on the older axolotl with the missing gills to ensure that it doesn't get an infection. Ensure that your water parameters are excellent and this will help him to remain healthy while the gills regrow.

Best of luck and please keep us posted on your progress. :happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back