Alpine Sexing

dannyyyallenn

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Daniel Allen
Hey everyone, been quite a while since I was on this forum. Good to check back in.
I have two Alpine newts, Apaunus type. By this time they are just over a year old. I've increased photo period by 2 hours and their tank temperature has risen from 12.7 C to about 18 C. (55-65 F). I was wondering what veteran alpine owners use as key sex determinates for this species.
Here's what I know: Females tend to be larger, males have a larger cloaca, males will be brighter in mating season and will grow a crest. Are there any other signs of sex, especially in younger newts like mine?
The main differences I can see between my two are these: one is much larger, eats more, and has a much wider head. This large one also has a broad tail, tapered at both ends. The other newt is not as plump, eats less, has a more narrow face and body shape; it also has a longer tail in proportion to body that is starting to broaden. This smaller one has a more vivid white coloration bar between its blue back and orange belly. I'm talking about the white stripe that runs from the lower lip along the side of the animal. I really haven't gotten around to a close cloaca examination so I can't say much about that. Neither of the two are showing signs of a ridge along the back yet although one or both have the orange bar running down their spine.
Does it sound like I have two different sexes here or are these both female? I know it can take up to three years for newts to reach sexual maturity but this is what I've been noticing as of late.

Side note,
what do your male alpines tend to look like when not in breeding condition. Any pictures?

It sounds like you most likely have a pair. Apuanas rarely take more than a year to mature in my experience but I have had what I thought were females surprise me by cresting up. Generally in immature newts I will focus on the dorsal shape/coloration for sexing in addition to the characteristics you mentioned. Females will have a kind of spinal "valley" and lose the orange dorsal stripe as they grow. Males will will have a black zig zag pattern down their spine and no indentation.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back