Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: White things on axolotl gills?

Ezreal

Reaction score
Hello everyone, just today I noticed that one side of my axolotl's gills is slightly droopy and when she flicks them, the right side responds slower than the left. Sometimes only one side would flick and the other doesn't respond at all! Any ideas on why this may be happening?

Update: sorry for the misleading title! I saw some traces of white a few minutes ago but they are gone now o.o

2eed157afd62b4ee4d0882ff934d559d.jpg
b4f75e17396d72039a2ec1d977b79748.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Donna001

Reaction score
I can't see anything obvious in the pictures, but I've only been keeping axolotls for a few months, so I'm not very experienced.
I would suggest testing the water parameters to ensure that everything is ok, and keep a close eye on your axolotl for any changes in behaviour, or things that concern you. Post your water parameters and observations here and perhaps the more experienced keepers will be able to help.

Shycloudgirl

Reaction score
The white tip on the gill on the left is something to keep an eye on, but could it be water flow? I know mine used to sit in certain areas of the tank more than others and if yours decided that they like one spot with only half of their face in the current it could effect the speed of the flicking.

Good luck! I hope the little guy is doing good!

Ezreal

Reaction score
I can't see anything obvious in the pictures, but I've only been keeping axolotls for a few months, so I'm not very experienced.

I would suggest testing the water parameters to ensure that everything is ok, and keep a close eye on your axolotl for any changes in behaviour, or things that concern you. Post your water parameters and observations here and perhaps the more experienced keepers will be able to help.

Thank you Donna for the tips. The water perimeters seem fine, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and about 5.0 ppm of nitrate. I've always had trouble getting nitrate levels down to zero, but I don't see how it could be related to gill growth.

Ezreal

Reaction score
The white tip on the gill on the left is something to keep an eye on, but could it be water flow? I know mine used to sit in certain areas of the tank more than others and if yours decided that they like one spot with only half of their face in the current it could effect the speed of the flicking.

Good luck! I hope the little guy is doing good!

Hmm, that could be the reason. Thank you for taking your time to reply. :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!