Concerning White Patch!

eraserheaded

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Aartdina
Hi there,

I have two juvenile axolotls, one leucistic and one wildtype, both about 5.5 inches (or 13.97 cm) long. I've had them for about two months and they have been nothing but super healthy, friendly, good appetites, etc.!

However today I noticed that Jesse, the wildtype, has a very small but definitely new white-ish patch on his top right gill. As I said, it's very small, and the rest of his gills/feet/body look totally fine.

He was swimming while I tried to get a photo of it, but here's the best I could do!

IMG_1795.jpg

IMG_1796.jpg

Any ideas? Thank you!!

Update - I just noticed there is some on his side as well... :sad:

image1.jpg

My poor baby, what do I do?!

It does seem to have the cotton wool appearance of a fungal infection. Try bathing him a couple of times a day in untreated tap water for ten minutes or so (same temperature as the tank). You may need to use salt baths if it worsens, but to start with, you could try something like this which is less damaging to their skin. And you should probably isolate him from his tankmate to avoid contagion.

Hold off on the salt batch for a bit. Most axolotls are perfectly capable of fighting off a mild fungal infection by themselves AS LONG AS the tank parameters are perfect. That being said, would you mind testing your tank water parameters and posting back what you find? Often times poor water conditions sort of act as a catalyst for these sorts of things. It only takes a small wound and subpar water quality to generate fungus. However, of all the things that your axolotls could come down with, fungus is probably one of the easiest to treat if you don't let it go too far. So, my advice would be to test your water parameters, post those, and if they are not up to par with what they should be, do water changes until they are to maintain a stable healing environment for them. :)

Have your axolotls ever been in contact with fish or any other species? Anything in their diets that isn't worms or pellets?

Hold off on the salt batch for a bit. Most axolotls are perfectly capable of fighting off a mild fungal infection by themselves AS LONG AS the tank parameters are perfect. That being said, would you mind testing your tank water parameters and posting back what you find? Often times poor water conditions sort of act as a catalyst for these sorts of things. It only takes a small wound and subpar water quality to generate fungus. However, of all the things that your axolotls could come down with, fungus is probably one of the easiest to treat if you don't let it go too far. So, my advice would be to test your water parameters, post those, and if they are not up to par with what they should be, do water changes until they are to maintain a stable healing environment for them. :)

Hi Zoe,

I did my weekly 20% water change + tank cleaning today and the water parameters are as follows:

Nitrate/Nitrite: both 0 ppm
pH: around 6-6.5
Carbonate Hardness: 0 ppm
General Hardness: 0 ppm
Ammonia: around 2-4 ppm

Everything looks good except the ammonia...I REALLY struggle with keeping those levels down, even though I water change/clean weekly and do my best to remove all decaying organic matter on a daily basis. I also use a formula that is supposed to reduce ammonia, although I don't think it does much. Until today I was using large river rocks to cover the bottom of the tank but I feel like they trap and hide decaying stuff and make the ammonia situation worse, so today I did away with them in favor of a bare bottom. I think ammonia-wise my biggest problem is my filtration system (which I also clean weekly). I use an internal filter and am really dissatisfied with the results...I intend on switching to a canister filter as soon as I'm financially enabled to! I've heard excellent things about canister filters and really hope one would help keep my ammonia levels lower.

Excuse the tangent, haha. So yeah, there are the water parameters. Also I separated Jesse into a smaller holding tank and gave him a 10-minute bath in untreated tap water. He seems to be doing well, fungus definitely doesn't look any worse today and he's still got an appetite.

Hope this helps! Thanks so much for all your knowledge.

Have your axolotls ever been in contact with fish or any other species? Anything in their diets that isn't worms or pellets?

Hello Elise,

They've had no contact with non-axolotls, and their diet subsists only of bloodworms at this time. They don't have much of a taste for the pellets! Although I intend on switching them soon from bloodworms to European nightcrawlers.

xoxo

Hi Zoe,

I did my weekly 20% water change + tank cleaning today and the water parameters are as follows:

Nitrate/Nitrite: both 0 ppm
pH: around 6-6.5
Carbonate Hardness: 0 ppm
General Hardness: 0 ppm
Ammonia: around 2-4 ppm

Everything looks good except the ammonia...I REALLY struggle with keeping those levels down, even though I water change/clean weekly and do my best to remove all decaying organic matter on a daily basis. I also use a formula that is supposed to reduce ammonia, although I don't think it does much. Until today I was using large river rocks to cover the bottom of the tank but I feel like they trap and hide decaying stuff and make the ammonia situation worse, so today I did away with them in favor of a bare bottom. I think ammonia-wise my biggest problem is my filtration system (which I also clean weekly). I use an internal filter and am really dissatisfied with the results...I intend on switching to a canister filter as soon as I'm financially enabled to! I've heard excellent things about canister filters and really hope one would help keep my ammonia levels lower.

Excuse the tangent, haha. So yeah, there are the water parameters. Also I separated Jesse into a smaller holding tank and gave him a 10-minute bath in untreated tap water. He seems to be doing well, fungus definitely doesn't look any worse today and he's still got an appetite.

Hope this helps! Thanks so much for all your knowledge.

Hello again! So, what the reading of ammonia tells me is that your tank has not completed a nitrogen cycle. Are you familiar with what that is? I'll find some resources if not, because it's incredibly important to be informed and knowledgable on what that is. I also agree with the removal of the stones, because they do likely prevent you from taking out all the extra poop that your axies may be producing.

Next, I wanted to ask if you used old (conditioned) tank water when you cleaned your filter. Generally speaking I don't think filters need to be cleaned that often. Anyways, the reason I ask is if you are using untreated tap water to clean your filter, you are effectively killing any beneficial bacteria that live in your media to help your cycle. And I do suggest you switch to a canister filter, they are typically much better suited for an axies output. :)

Also, most products that claim they're "ammonia eliminating" are usually just bogus. The only real thing that will keep your ammonia levels down is a nitrogen cycle, which will take a couple weeks to establish.

Finally, all this makes a lot of sense in regard to your axie. Like I stated earlier, poorer water quality does encourage fungus growth. Your axie may have done something as simple as scratched himself on the gill while bumping into things as they often do. He will heal totally perfectly by himself as long as you are on top of your parameters. It's a lot of work, but that basically means daily water changes until your cycle is established so you don't have ammonia present. Anything above .25ppm is considered high and dangerous, and so you should be working on keeping it below that level. One product I like to use is Ammonia Alert by SeaChem. It's a little sticky thing you attach on the inside of your tank and will give you a basic sense of where your ammonia levels are at. (Though I absolutely would still test daily with a liquid test kit while you are cycling.)

Hello again! So, what the reading of ammonia tells me is that your tank has not completed a nitrogen cycle. Are you familiar with what that is? I'll find some resources if not, because it's incredibly important to be informed and knowledgable on what that is. I also agree with the removal of the stones, because they do likely prevent you from taking out all the extra poop that your axies may be producing.

Next, I wanted to ask if you used old (conditioned) tank water when you cleaned your filter. Generally speaking I don't think filters need to be cleaned that often. Anyways, the reason I ask is if you are using untreated tap water to clean your filter, you are effectively killing any beneficial bacteria that live in your media to help your cycle. And I do suggest you switch to a canister filter, they are typically much better suited for an axies output. :)

Also, most products that claim they're "ammonia eliminating" are usually just bogus. The only real thing that will keep your ammonia levels down is a nitrogen cycle, which will take a couple weeks to establish.

Finally, all this makes a lot of sense in regard to your axie. Like I stated earlier, poorer water quality does encourage fungus growth. Your axie may have done something as simple as scratched himself on the gill while bumping into things as they often do. He will heal totally perfectly by himself as long as you are on top of your parameters. It's a lot of work, but that basically means daily water changes until your cycle is established so you don't have ammonia present. Anything above .25ppm is considered high and dangerous, and so you should be working on keeping it below that level. One product I like to use is Ammonia Alert by SeaChem. It's a little sticky thing you attach on the inside of your tank and will give you a basic sense of where your ammonia levels are at. (Though I absolutely would still test daily with a liquid test kit while you are cycling.)

Hello Zoe :)

I am not familiar with what it means for my tank to have completed a nitrogen cycle...boy, do I feel bad. I really thought I did a good amount of research before I adopted my lil babies, all I ever want for them is to be healthy and happy! I really, really appreciate you taking the time to thoughtfully and extensively reply to all of my (likely inane and frustrating) questions. So, yes, I would totally appreciate it if you could explain to me/provide me with some resources regarding the nitrogen cycle. I want my axies to have the best life possible.

I use tap water when I clean the filter media, but from now on I'll use old tank water. I can see how that makes sense about the beneficial bacteria, it's just like how taking antibiotics isn't that great for you cause it kills the good stuff along with the bad stuff.

Hopefully I'll have a canister filter in the next few weeks or so, I have some friends who have an one from their old piranha's tank that's fully functional and just needs new media and to be cleaned, so I'll be getting that one thankfully.

Thank you for the product recommendation and for generally being so caring and attentive here on the forum!! Looking forward to getting some nitrogen cycle info first-hand from another axie parent.

Thanks again <3

Hi there.
I've posted a link to tank cycling on your other thread.
Cleaning your filter in old tank water rather than tap water will make a huge difference to finishing cycling your tank and I'd expect your ammonia levels to start dropping significantly. It may be worth moving your axolotls to other containers and give them daily water changes until your tank completes cycling, as this will avoid your little ones from being exposed to high levels of ammonia and nitrites.
:happy:

It looks like Donna's got you covered on resources. And it's generally a very researchable process if you just look through Google. And don't worry about it! I'm glad you care so much, and that's what this forum is here for. We want your lil ones to have happy, healthy lives too. :) If you have further questions on anything (products, nitrogen cycle, etc...) you know where to find us!

Donna and Zoe, thank you both soooo much! I'm starting nitro cycle process ASAP. Will post results in a few weeks!

Keeping your little ones in separate containers with daily water changes may help with the fungal problem with your wild type, and it will be worth keeping a close eye on him.
Best of luck with the tank, you will find that it will make a big difference and make things much easier for you and your little ones.
:happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back