Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

N.v.l

Canecorsonewt

Reaction score
I went to check on my juvenile newts. I found one stuck to the glass hanging by its tail. With its legs and arms stuck to its body and all dried up. Looked like a cocoon i definitely thought it had died. I removed it then i put in water in hopes to revive it and it started to move. I dont know if it would have died. It seemed to have been shedding its skin got stuck to the glass. It was crazy watching it move and pulling its arms and legs of its body in the water. It sheded its skin now and its acting fine. Now im nervous they can get stuck to the glass and dry up and die. Think im going to start keeping my glass most now.

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Good job you found it when you did! I've seen this nearly happen a number of times, I think it's caused by excessively low humidity. The baby Cynops I raise normally unstick themselves starting with their head and front legs and kind of roll over backwards and drop off.
It is way more likely to happen when there's a mesh lid than with a cover glass and more likely still if there's any air movement through the tank, like cooling fans etc.
It should be enough just to check on your Noto babies a couple of times a day and give the sides a good misting until they're big enough to unstick themselves.

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1