Illness/Sickness: Weird discolored/bumpy skin appeared on axolotl

Cersei

Reaction score
Country
United States
She's acting normal, but my girl Boba has suddenly gotten bumpy/pale on her sides, almost like an allergic reaction. Anyone have any ideas?

ist409Z

Awe, sorry to hear your girl isn't well! :(
The picture you posted doesn't seem to be working, maybe try reposting it.
Are your water parameters and temperature good? :) And does she have any other tank mates?

The the picture doesn't appear in the post, but link works if you right click on it and open it in a new tab.
As Samantha has mentioned, what are your water parameters, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, temperature. Please could you post the results of your water test.
I'm not very experienced as a keeper, but I have seen something similar on another link a few months ago. It is possible for some axolotls to be allergic to things like aloe vera, which is sometimes found in some dechlorinators.
Have you changed anything recently, such as your brand of dechlorinator? Have you changed anything in your tank? Added any decor?
Sorry about all of the questions, just trying to work out what could be causing the problem.
Great news that Boba is still behaving normally though, as this would indicate that it is not causing major problems. :happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back