Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

HELP! Axolotl injury! :(

Jaysolorzano

Reaction score
Hi everyone
Cheese, my albino axolotl suffered from an injury today while i was suctioning water out of the tank. I was performing my weekly routine water change in his tank, and for a second i happened to look down to make sure the water coming out was going into the bucket, but i felt something got sucked into the other end of the hose. Turns out my axie accidentally swam past that end (keeping in mind its a large tank, and i kept that end of the hose near the water surface away from him) and the suctioning force left a pretty larger injury on the right side of his head! I have to mention that he is a strong axie, hes around 3 months old and measures 13 cms, he eats very well and has a great appetite, he's active and healthy. What should i do?? i posted 2 pictures of the injury below, PLEASE any recommendations? will he be ok? what should i do about this? i feel terrible, this is my fault for not keeping and eye on him at all times while suctioning water out of the tank.

Attachments

• IMG_4801.JPG
    IMG_4801.JPG
    331.4 KB · Views: 1,827
  • IMG_4802.JPG
    IMG_4802.JPG
    242.2 KB · Views: 681

AmberLouiseT

Reaction score
Ouch, looks painful. Has his behaviour changed at all since the injury occurred?
Axolotl's are notorious for being able to heal some pretty serious injuries. I would personally keep a very close eye on him, keep him in perfect water conditions, keep him calm - he should heal up but remember to be extra vigilant for fungus/bacteria.
See if the injury swells any further, hopefully it will go down soon. If he seems to be unhappy, or distressed/in pain - you may have to move him into a 'hospital tank'.
Try not to blame yourself too much, accidents happen.
Keep us updated, post pictures and keep checking him - I hope one of the more experienced members will be along soon to give you their advice & recommendations.
Good luck!

Jaysolorzano

Reaction score
Hi!
Thanks for the reply, he wasnt moving that side of his gills, but now he is so thats a sign that the pain is going away. He is just pretty much sitting on the bottom of the tank as he usually does, no strange o erratic behavior. I try to keep the water on excellent conditions by doing a weekly water change. I could post pictures if i see anything different. There seems to not be any swelling so far. Thank you for the comment! i will keep you posted :)

AmberLouiseT

Reaction score
I'm glad he's able to move his gills :) and it's it's a good sign that he's not acting any different.
Fingers crossed your little one heals up without any issues but the forum is here if you need any advice :)

Jaysolorzano

Reaction score
Hello everyone
Quick update on Cheese's injury. Its been only one day after the accident happened and he already shows a lot of good progress on the wound. Its looks like he is healing pretty fast, he's eating as good as always, and his behavior is normal, seem like hes on the road to a speedy recovery! Posted a picture below :D

Attachments

• IMG_4818.JPG
    IMG_4818.JPG
    322.3 KB · Views: 1,315
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!